Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Yes she was! However, sizing in the garment industry has changed radically since the 1950s. Marilyn Monroe's measurements were:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118 pounds
Bust: 35inches
Waist: 22inches
Hips: 35inches

That is similar to about a size 4 today. Even near the end of her career, when she was "fat", her measurements were

Bust:37 inches
Waist: 23 inches
Hips: 36 inches

Still pretty tiny!

Even Lucille Ball was a "perfect size 12" according to her studio publicity department. Her measurements were even smaller than Marilyn's.

So, when you are out shopping for vintage, don't be horrified that you can only fit into a 14 or 16. It doesn't mean you are fat, it only means that sizes are different than they were back in the day.

Also, one of the reasons that there is almost no plus size vintage is that there were almost no plus size people back then. Widespread obesity is a very recent phenomenon and was practically unheard of until the late 70s.

Views: 22038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea agreed, I collect vintage fashion and their sizes were very different to ours. I have to buy a 50s 16 or 14 to fit. Every few years the sizes go up a inch or 2 to make women feel better about their size and then they want to buy the outfit. Trick of fashion marketing

I think because she was so curvacious - petite, but those measurements scream curves - people will assume, or promote, that she was a size 16 (I have to remind my British mind that that's a UK12 aha). It's become a way of 'pretty-ing up' plus sized women to say that they are curvy, and so whos is a better role model with curves than Monroe? Personally I think it should be spread far and wide that she was smaller, and show teenage girls that strive to be a size 4 (UK8) or below that they don't need to look like sticks/prepubity boys, but can keep they're womanly curves.

I'm a UK12 and very happy with myself although I would love to have that waist! It however, went to my sister! Damn her...

I don't know if the "prettying up plus sized " statement is meant to be an empowering statement, or if it was a bash at "thick" women. I'm going to assume it's a complement because you are talking about some positive things. and I Concur, maybe they are saying Marilyn is bigger than what she really was to empower curvaceous women and show them that they don't have to be rail thin to be beautiful..

exactly ! i need a corset!

Vintage Suits by Mary said:
Don't be too discouraged. Back then pretty much all women wore girdles and long line bras all the time. If your waist was squeezed constantly, it would be small too!

Delyssia LaBelle {Madam} said:

i used to take comfort in the fact that me and marilyn were the same size, thanks for ruining my dream...lol, JK.

im working my way down in inches now, not sure i will reach 22! but the goal is 25inches. its so hard for me to believe such tall girls, i guess being 5feet 4inches, i think one more inch and a half is tall...but that a girl of that height was only 118lbs and still had curves. when i get under 130 i start loosing all my coke bottle shape. i guess there just gifted. same with Dita! hard to believe at 5 feet 6 inches shes only 114!!!! 

I meant it as the industry uses it as a compliment to plus sized women to, I suppose yes, empower them rather than what the doctor would say which, in sadly rising circumstances, is over weight or obesity. Curves should be embraced, but so should healthy living.

Miss Nikki Sin{★} said:

I don't know if the "prettying up plus sized " statement is meant to be an empowering statement, or if it was a bash at "thick" women. I'm going to assume it's a complement because you are talking about some positive things. and I Concur, maybe they are saying Marilyn is bigger than what she really was to empower curvaceous women and show them that they don't have to be rail thin to be beautiful..

I just LOVE Marilyn, and I think this body type is what society should be advertising more of, and not the anorexic models we see today. and I do agree with what Roxie said "Curves should be embraced, but so should healthy living."

Im just sayin...

Agreed - curves are sexy. Otherwise you may as well just be a boy
If I could 'like' a comment a la Facebook, your's, my dear, I would!

Scarlett Poppy said:
Thank you for posting this.  People love to talk about how she was a size 12, but you can clearly see from her pictures that she was very slim. 

I have a friend who struggles with keeping weight on.  Because she is skinny, like, really skinny, she doesn't feel so great about her sexuality-- because of comments like this. 

--Just sayin'

Scarlett Poppy said:

and topics like this upset me, because I'm "plus sized", and even though I read this topic and the comments over and over, I still see negativity towards big girls. I thought the pin up scene would be more accepting towards full figured models, and extra skinny ones as well (btw, tell her to eat tons of Pasta and Potatoes.. they are loaded with Carbs and will help her keep her weight up.. my little brother was a wrestler and constantle had to "beef up" to make weight)...

The Trousseau said:

I have a friend who struggles with keeping weight on.  Because she is skinny, like, really skinny, she doesn't feel so great about her sexuality-- because of comments like this. 

--Just sayin'

Scarlett Poppy said:

Wow - sorry totally not the point behind my comment. I'm thinking more about young girls I work with who starve themselves intentionally to be beautiful or try fit a stereotype when women are gorgeous regardless, there is nothing wrong with being thin or petite just when your harming your health to do so. If we all looked the same it would be boring. As an artist I find all bodies attractive (apart from dead ones thats a little creepy)

Sorry if that was misunderstood I totally hold no prejudice to body types. 

Miss Nikki Sin{★} said:

and topics like this upset me, because I'm "plus sized", and even though I read this topic and the comments over and over, I still see negativity towards big girls. I thought the pin up scene would be more accepting towards full figured models, and extra skinny ones as well (btw, tell her to eat tons of Pasta and Potatoes.. they are loaded with Carbs and will help her keep her weight up.. my little brother was a wrestler and constantle had to "beef up" to make weight)...

The Trousseau said:

--Just sayin'

Scarlett Poppy said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends: