Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I have been thinking about it a lot lately, and I've recently decided that I want to begin choreographing a piece to the lovely instrumental song, Decollage by Les Balayeurs du Desert. I'm picturing large, white ostrich feather fans and aerial hoops. For two. My partner in crime, Dolly De Maul and I.

My only conundrum... I've recently been pricing these hoops and I've run across two problems.
1) They are quite pricey, and though I'd love to outright purchase one, I simply do not have the money.
2) The ones I am seeing do not have quite a large enough diameter. I was hoping for ones that were a bit wider.

So, I was wondering... Does anyone have any ideas on how I can construct something similar? And it does not necessarily have to made out of metal, it just needs to be able to withhold enough weight to support a performer, and to be able to twirl. And if possible, I was also thinking about somehow making it to where the hoop had somewhat of a platform on the bottom so it is almost "swing"-like. I've got a few ideas reeling, but any input is wonderful!

Views: 1064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A ring that size with a single support point and 100+ pounds of weight on it plus motion/hanging & gravity you're looking at either an exotic synthetic material or metal.

Add to that the free rotating base you need and or joint at the hoop itself and you're totally creeping outside the DIY zone.
Well, as for diameter I was not thinking a whole lot wider than the ones you can purchase, just slightly more so. I wasn't looking for a drastic difference, just enough for more motion for the fans.

Also, when I refer to it twirling, the motion would be caused by us being on it, not caused by an outside effect. (I'm not entirely sure if that's what you were referring to?) As for the joint that would allow it to spin, the swivel hook allows it to do so when it's installed to the ceiling.

The platform itself I was not planning on being a free rotating base, but just an attachment to the bottom of the hoop so the hoop acted more like a big round swing. (Imagine a regular swing with the suspension chains bowed out into a circle) I know my description was a bit confusing. I've basically decided that a platform can be attached, but it would need some serious bolting. I may have nixed the platform, but I can't say for sure yet. I'm going to see how the building of the rest of this goes.

As for materials, I've not yet done any serious research, but I was thinking thick PVC pipe, that I would paint and decorate accordingly after construction. There are some pretty heavy duty grade piping out there. I'm not worried about the construction if something seems pretty invasive. I've taken a few sculpture workshops in my time in art school.
I am also interested in this topic... I would like a hoop to put in my studio for photos only it would only be about 2 feet off the floor.... If anyone else has any ideas on how to easily/cheaply construct such a thing I would be deeply grateful.
Bijou did you ever make the plastic one? How did it work out??
I found a local metal works school to make one for me for around $100!!!!!!!!
Really? Where are they located? What are they called?

And no, I've never been able to come up with materials that would work efficiently thus far. =(
This specific performance has been put on the back burner for the time being... Which is okay because affording decent quality feather fans is a task as well. One day! =} Maybe next years tax returns will be of assistance.

Surrendered Souls said:
I found a local metal works school to make one for me for around $100!!!!!!!!
It's called New England School-Metal Work in Auburn, Maine. I can see if they can make 2 and send you one...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service