Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Has anyone ever been told what your wearing is too much?

As a casual thing I LOVE love love love flowers in my hair, not just any flowers either; BIG flowers. They're fun and to me is a casual thing but can also dress up a simple outfit. Well, my aunt who came from another part of the state came to visit and told me what I wear is "too much". It's "too loud" and that I should take it off. Has anyone else dealt with those people who just don't..... understand and say what you wear is too much and you should take it off or change to be "normal"? What's everyone else's thoughts on it, like how do you handle those kinds of people?

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually act like I'm finishing their sentence like this: Them: "It's too loud...." Me: ".....For you".  Or I say: "Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm not wearing it to make you happy."  But that's cuz I'm a smartass, haha!

Someone is always not going to like what you do, no matter what that is.  If it makes you happy, you exude happiness and beauty, and most people will love that about you. 

Also, if you don't have haters, you aren't doing it right :)

I love your comment, and don't think I'm a creeper or anything but I looked through your pictures and you are absolutely gorgeous!! Seriously, you are a beautiful woman :) And thanks I will definitely be wearing big and beautiful flowers! :D 

Aoife 24K said:

First of all, Mira this is a great topic. I am so glad that you posted it. I have kind of a unique perspective on this topic. I am transgendered. And I want to attract attention. But I want to attract attention for looking great, looking as glamorous as possible. I don't want to look like I am a contestant on RuPaul's show. I want to look like I stepped out of the pages of a fashion magazine from the Forties, Fifties or Sixties. I hope that people will say "That woman looks great". I hope not to hear "Is that a guy over there wearing that dress?" Anyway I think the most important thing about pinup is that we are proud of our femininity and we are proud that we can look our best. Keep wearing flowers in you hair!

I will keep this in mind, it really gives a lot to think about for sure. I didn't think of it that way but I love your way of thinking. :)

BonBurner15 said:

Great Q & A post, Mira. 

I have never actually been told that what I wear is too much, but I'm sure people are sometimes thinking it.  I do get treated like a sideshow attraction sometimes, (as if I walked out of the opera scene in the Fifth Element or something), which causes me to roll my eyes on the days were an enlightened attitude has eluded me... But for the most of it, I just remember that I am marching to the beat of my own drum. I've always had a voice of my own...which I imagine is your case too...In fact, it's probably most of all of our cases on here!  :)

I believe that some people are just triggered by something that they consider to be "out of the box", simply because they are suffocating inside of their own box, you know? They feel trapped subconsciously, and when they see someone who is free of conventional restrictions and binding - they become envious and/or depressed enough to try to tear that person down. In my opinion, it's important to stay as compassionate as you can...even towards the folks that very bluntly try to pull your legs out from under you.

Next time your aunt, or anyone else, brings up your sense of style to you in this manner - tell them that it's their opinion, and they are indeed entitled to it, but you do not agree. Then let it bounce off of you. Imagine yourself as a solid white wall that repels all negative vibes.  

Hope that helps! Have a great day!

Bonburner

Aunt Jamima? Really??? Even before I liked pin up I would have thought you'd look like Rosie. I usually think of her when I see others wear a  bandana like that. I had two customers at work tell me  I looked like this woman who played a vampire way back or like Michelle Obama just for having normal bangs lol! So don't feel bad, there's a lot of narrow minded people in the world :P sadly.  

SuSu said:

I love to wear bandana's in my hair like Rosie the Rivetor.  I get looks all the time.  I was told today I look like Aunt Jamima.  I hate narrow minded people.

Lol! I love it! Would you mind if I used the same thing you said? It's perfect! and I totally agree especially about the last part :D 

Bonnie Lass said:

I usually act like I'm finishing their sentence like this: Them: "It's too loud...." Me: ".....For you".  Or I say: "Well, I guess I'm lucky I'm not wearing it to make you happy."  But that's cuz I'm a smartass, haha!

Someone is always not going to like what you do, no matter what that is.  If it makes you happy, you exude happiness and beauty, and most people will love that about you. 

Also, if you don't have haters, you aren't doing it right :)

Of course, please do ;)  But one thing I never say is I'm sorry!  Never apologize for being who you are!

I totally agree with that! Thanks for the advice :) 

Bonnie Lass said:

Of course, please do ;)  But one thing I never say is I'm sorry!  Never apologize for being who you are!

I so agree with the FABULOUS advice about just being fabulous, nothing wrong with being awesome!

In my hometown getting dressed up fancy means throwing on the sweat pants with the "bling" letters on the rear. I wear dresses and skirts nearly every day everywhere I go. People always compliment me when I'm out and about on my outfits (hair flowers and high heels nearly every day!) and I may be slightly overdressed for every occasion but it makes me happy.

The trick is to wear what you love. My little one once pointed out to me that "it is never later" so I stopped waiting for another better time to wear things that make me happy and started wearing them every day. Since neither of my jobs require a uniform I have banished all clothes I'm not in love with from my house. 

As long as you are happy with your lovely giant hair flowers do yourself a favor and rock them. So many things in our life are out of our control and don't make us happy, why let someone else's demure nature dull your shine?

hahaha my hometown is exactly the same. It's so boring. I love to dress up, I'm actually getting my first dress soon; very excited about it! I'm new to the whole Rockabilly thing but I really love it and I can't wait to get dresses and some peep toe heels and more flowers :)

Lady Ve said:

In my hometown getting dressed up fancy means throwing on the sweat pants with the "bling" letters on the rear. I wear dresses and skirts nearly every day everywhere I go. People always compliment me when I'm out and about on my outfits (hair flowers and high heels nearly every day!) and I may be slightly overdressed for every occasion but it makes me happy.

The trick is to wear what you love. My little one once pointed out to me that "it is never later" so I stopped waiting for another better time to wear things that make me happy and started wearing them every day. Since neither of my jobs require a uniform I have banished all clothes I'm not in love with from my house. 

As long as you are happy with your lovely giant hair flowers do yourself a favor and rock them. So many things in our life are out of our control and don't make us happy, why let someone else's demure nature dull your shine?

I love the pin up look for a long time, but only now am I starting to invest more money into building a wardrobe (my pin up wardrobe is still really modest, but growing. I bought many hair accessories as well, like big flowers, as they can give a vintage vibe to most outfits). When I do dress as a pin up, which I have been doing more and more frequently lately, I get people staring, but in a good way, some smile at me for no reason way more than when I am not dressed as a pin up. Some ask to take pictures of me, which I decide to take as a compliment. lol

Keep wearing your flowers, doll. If it makes you happy, that is all that matters.

I too am new to the whole pin~up scene but have loved it forever.  And my first baby step into the scene was my flowers.  I haven't ever had anyone say anything bad about them though I will have customers at work ask where my flower is if I don't wear one.  And tonight was the first night I actually wore my makeup to work and got alot of compliments so guess I'll be doing that more often as well.  Own you look and be proud of your style.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service