Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and figured it was finally time to put it to some good use. I have never used one before so it is really foreign to me. I was just wondering if any of you crafty PL peeps had any recommendations for books or websites with tutorials to help get me started?

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You tube has some good tutorials, but they can be hard to find. Check out the Dollhouse, there is a DIY section, and some awesome pros willing to answer questions. www.pinupdollhouse.com
Some of the ways I started out sewing was by taking pre-made items and altering them. For example, if you google ways to reconstruct a t-shirt, you will find countless websites that provide step-by-step instructions on how to transform old, ugly things you'd never wear otherwise into super cute stuff. For the most part, they are very simple, and it's a good way to practice and "feel out" your sewing machine. First steps are baby steps. You'll get the hang of it, and it gets to be really fun once you get going!

I'm not sure if you have livejournal, but if so, this is a GREAT community to ask questions and get some sweet tutorials. I've been a member for years now and have really benefitted from seeing what other people are coming up with.

http://community.livejournal.com/t_shirt_surgery

I hope this proves useful! Best of luck. =)
Make sure you get to know your machine a little and some reconstructuring of clothes can help you, but try on clothes you don't mind messing up, oh the poor lost band shirts I loved that went into failed learning experiences. Good luck doll! Sewing is really fun when you get used to it.
One of my favorite Youtube channels is called threadbangers. They have a lot of pretty neat things to learn!

Good Luck!
I don't sew but my roommate does. She's pretty much self-taught. She would buy simple patterns and just follow the directions that come with it and progress from there. I would stay away from Vogue patterns at first b/c they are very difficult even for intermediate seamstresses.

Instructables may have some good info for you and I'm sure there are some good books on Amazon. Good luck!
I agree with Roxy 100%, The Dollhouse has tons of videos and a DIY forum that you can post in if you have questions! Check it out! :)

www.pinupdollhouse.com
Also, one more suggestion...

It also helps, after you become comfortable with how the sewing machine works and general stitching techniques that is, to dissect old clothes you don't care about. Figure out how certain things are sewn into place. I've actually created my own patterns just by carefully ripping the seams to something, taking note as I go, on how all the pieces are connected. Oh, and do a lot of experimenting!
Ok, so I am even more excited now than I was before! Thanks so much....I am going through clothes right now to donate so I am forming a "sewing pile" out of the stuff that is a little too ratty to donate just so I can experiment some!
Also, a lot of the big craft stores like Jo-Ann's will have patterns on sale super-cheap. Like this past week, Simplicity or some such was 5 for $5. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Vintage vogue has a lot of really nice pinup stuff but it's harder to sew. Forgive me, I think i already said that. ;) It's late at night so my brain's a bit addled. Vogue also had a designer line-up that has many items that have a pinup flair.

Butterick also has a "retro" section. I didn't see it in the book when I was at the craft store this past weekend, so it may be an online-only thing or perhaps my book wasn't current. Here is the link: http://butterick.mccall.com/retro-pages-371.php

Keep us posted on how your projects go! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service