Advertise on PinupLifestyle
When I was in college, a bunch of my friends could afford only to go home for ONE holiday, and Christmas break was the obvious choice. I lived close enough to gather all of the orphans up and descend on my mom's house so we could all feast together, and be thankful for friends and home-cooked food. Now it's (cough) years later, and it's still my habit to scoop up my friends who can't, or choose not to, spend the holiday with their family. This feast for my "family by choice" is something I look forward to all year. I'll cook up a free-range turkey, plus a Tofurkey roast, and of course stuffing and cranberry relish and veggies and THREE kinds of potatoes and probably too many pies, and we'll spill wine and break a dish or glass (one year, the coffee maker died!) and we'll shout and laugh and everyone will go home with leftovers.
What are your traditions?

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My mother makes all sorts of potato dishes. I love the sweet potato casserole with marshmellows on top. After we eat we lay around drinking and then go to our friends house up the street and continue to eat and drink until its time to roll home.

We also have this tradition between the dinner and second dessert where we shake out food down in out stomachs to make room for more. Its an interesting scene when the family is just standing in the kitchen shaking our bodies.
HAhahaha! That reminds me that a friend's custom is to gather up everyone (no family at that feast, either) and run naked around the host's house after dinner. The colder the weather, the faster the run. :)

Golden Browne said:
We also have this tradition between the dinner and second dessert where we shake out food down in out stomachs to make room for more. Its an interesting scene when the family is just standing in the kitchen shaking our bodies.
Your 3 potatoes remind me of the first Thanksgiving episode of Friends. Mashed with lumps, whipped with peas and onions and tots!!

I also would drag my friends over to my parents, and many years we would get together the day before or after and I'd make alllll the sides, and someone else would cook a Turkey... and we'd have an awesome meal! Yummm!
The obligatory Three Kinds Of Potatoes at my house (and I also love that Friends episode, even though they totally stole that from me) are roasted-with-bird, mashed, and some form of sweet potato. My mom prefers canned yams topped with marshmallows, I prefer them whipped with some goat cheese and a little truffle oil. In which case I would skip the mashers, because, with the stuffing, that's way too much mushy food. But I'll probably make a dish of potatoes-roasted-but-NOT-with-the-turkey for the vegetarians (who, by the way, don't eat marshmallows in case anyone was unaware that they contain gelatin. A sad lesson I learned when I went veggie.)

Cassie Wanda said:
Your 3 potatoes remind me of the first Thanksgiving episode of Friends. Mashed with lumps, whipped with peas and onions and tots!!

I also would drag my friends over to my parents, and many years we would get together the day before or after and I'd make alllll the sides, and someone else would cook a Turkey... and we'd have an awesome meal! Yummm!
I'm so trying this.

Wink Holliday said:
The obligatory Three Kinds Of Potatoes at my house (and I also love that Friends episode, even though they totally stole that from me) are roasted-with-bird, mashed, and some form of sweet potato. My mom prefers canned yams topped with marshmallows, I prefer them whipped with some goat cheese and a little truffle oil. In which case I would skip the mashers, because, with the stuffing, that's way too much mushy food. But I'll probably make a dish of potatoes-roasted-but-NOT-with-the-turkey for the vegetarians (who, by the way, don't eat marshmallows in case anyone was unaware that they contain gelatin. A sad lesson I learned when I went veggie.)

Cassie Wanda said:

I usually make a HUGE dinner for all my friends. I don't like spending too much time with my family. If one of our friends (because we're military) is not able to make it to my dinner, then we send them a care package...complete with canned cranberry sauce and stuffing! :) it's not the greatest thing to eat...but getting a package from loved ones when you are a million miles from home is the best thing EVER.
It's practically here! My hormone-free, free-range, vegetarian-fed (dead nonetheless) turkey is ordered, the Tofurkey is waiting in the freezer, and after trips to THREE different stores today, I think I have everything I need for the rest. Except lemons/limes for drinks, but I'll count on someone asking if there's anything they can bring!

turkey, both bird and bean versions
cornbread stuffing with rosemary and sage
cranberry jelly
roasted carrots/potatoes
whipped sweet potatoes with goat cheese and truffle oil
asparagus (guest is bringing; preparation is a surprise)
pumpkin pie
apple tart
flowing wine and cocktails, and no arguments allowed!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service