Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Cold Weather Pin Ups. What to wear and how to wear it.

So I'm all about folding up my jeans and having capris on EVERYDAY in the summer... unless I have on a cute sundress. So what the heck am I gonna do come winter? It happenes every year, I get all grumpy after fall when I feel like it's time to retire my pencil skirts and halter dresses and peep toes and .... I'm just not happy about it. I feel like I can't a good vintage style going with freakin' pants on. What do you ladies wear in the winter? Am I the only wimp that tucks her cute skirts in the back of the closet?

Views: 23008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm feeling your pain! Damn it's already cold here in Belgium.

btw where can I find sweater clips? never heard about it but they sound awesome.

Maybe someone who knows how to make them? ^^

I guess I will wear my pencil skirts and other skirts. I'll see. I'm freezing xo

Summer, I miss you already =(

Depending on what kind of cold it is for you, I sometime do a vintage wool skirt with thicker pantyhose, or what-have-you, along with a warm, feminine coat as well. A head scarf also helps keep your ears warm & hair looking nice when it gets windy. As far as shoes go, closed toe shoes. Winter is my favorite because it just gets too hot out here to sweat all over my vintage dresses. lol. In the winter you can layer and show off your dress when you get inside.

I used to have this problem and I still get depressed when it's cold, but last year I decided to suck it up. Hey, they make fishnets and tights for a reason.  I imagine though since I'm back in school my style will be less dressy due to walking on campus etc. I did find some fabulous high waist "work" pants made by worthington at jcpenney.  They come in black and camel (khaki) and include a belt! I got the black and will definitely have to go back for the khaki.  They're reasonably priced at $44 though I got mine on sale.

For fall/winter I stock up on cardigans and try for the colorful ones though there's nothing wrong with black ;)  I have been lucky and acquired vintage denim as well.  Just a few more cardigans and I'm all set :)

I can make sweater clips :) and I'll post them on my etsy (been a project I've been meaning to get to) but you can also snag some snazzy ones at catslikeus.com.

Saartje Van Den Haute said:

I'm feeling your pain! Damn it's already cold here in Belgium.

btw where can I find sweater clips? never heard about it but they sound awesome.

Maybe someone who knows how to make them? ^^

I guess I will wear my pencil skirts and other skirts. I'll see. I'm freezing xo

Summer, I miss you already =(

I love to wear gloves, long skirts, long jackets or trench coat, heel boots and scarfs! Usually all matching too :)

I live in California so like Roxy said it doesn't get terribly cold here but for us  there are times when we need warm clothes. I layer with warm over the knee socks under pants or dresses (yes I still wear skirts and dress), trench coats, knee high lace up boots, leather jackets, I am sooo investing in some muffs this year, lovely scarves to wrap around my head like a movie star, cardigans! So many things!

I love this coat it is stunning does anyone have any idea where i can get a similar one from??? 

Whenever I get hassled about my furs I reassure who ever is concerned that it's vintage and that the poor minks would be long gone..  and it's my way of recycling.  I generally get a little bit of a laugh!

I'm from North Dakota so my winter garb is full of fur trimmed numbers. I have a sheepskin coat dyed with a leopard print pattern that my grandma got in Germany in the 60's.  I also scored a hot mink jacket from a former boss.  Her mother bought it new in the early sixties and wore it twice? $25 bucks baby!

I'm a big fan of sleek turtlenecks or even a food V neck sweater and a pencil skirt, just make sure to have some good stockings to keep those gams warm.  A low heel works sometimes, and even helps you gain a little bit of traction in the snow (kidding) flats are best, or just make sure to have a pair of cute boots handy!  Military surplus jackets are always great too.. They are always really warm and good for bumming, plus they always have a classic look to them.  I always like having a good hat for the winter too.. I've been known to rock a coonskin hat on occasion!

Ladies, this is a thread about how to keep warm and look good doing it. It is NOT about whether or not fur is bad. Please do not continue the conversation about fur here. If you would like to start a different thread on that topic, feel free. This is meant to be an informative thread about cold weather clothes, not the place for personal or political feelings against fur.

Thank you.

I'm a big fan of at least dressing up my heavy winter coats with classic jewelry....

Cameo Brooches under $15

Attention Betty's...

You are all ahh-dorable...thanks for the great ideas, images...xoxo

Katrina

Rockabetty Bags

While I do live in Arizona, I live at more than 7,000 feet above sea level and it snows like crazy in the winter here! Roofs around town even collapse under the weight of the snow! I agree with Tifa, it really is all about dressing in layers. I wear foundation garments, slips and thick nylons under wool dresses, wool skirts, dresses made of heavy fabric, with warm cardigans over top. I also have several vintage furs and retro wool pea coats. I also love to wear a thick, fitted sweater with rolled up warm jeans and cute boots. This year I am looking for a muff, some more cute sweaters and another peacoat. :)

Tifa DeLeone said:

Since I live in Sweden I'm used to cooold winters, and layers is a great way to go.
Don't be scared of by the thought to wear a dress when it's cold out.
Start out with a covering undergarment that will keep you warmer and make you look gorgeous at the same time like:

+ thicker stockings
Wear real vintage styled highwaisted panties that covers the butt! These are comfy and sexy.

Over that a slip/skirt, these are pretty cheap in vintage stores.

ad a long sleeved dress, and length should be below the knees:

Shoes! This style is lovely but make sure they are warm too:

www.bianco.dk/uploads/b_productcolour/24-45007-20_350x330.gif"/>

A nice warm cardigan over the dress.
Add a nice coat, there has already been pretty examples here!
It does not have to be real fur to look good and keep you warm, just make sure it's thick!
Ad a great thick scarf, warm gloves and if possible a nice looking hat och beret! Anything on your head will help you keep warm!

Ad more layers to match the weather.

This look had saved me a lot of times in the cold!:

And the 20's style hat:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends: