Advertise on PinupLifestyle

What do others think of using wigs or hairpieces for pinup shoots?  I'm thinking of wigs that are already styled for the appropriate time period of one's costume/look, of course.  I've bought a few and know the synthetic ones don't always look great out of the package.  Before I run off and blow money on lots of wigs, I wanted to get some opinions.  :)

Views: 916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i don't use them but I have some from my mother in law. I will be selling them at lone star round up this year along with some other goodies from my shoots.

i love wigs....you don't need to spend a ton of money to get one that is perfect for a few shoots but just like anything else - the higher quality the higher price.  I'll drop big bucks on a wig if I know that I will use it for a few shoots.

I've used them for tons of shoots (don't think I have any examples on here).  I buy them and then get a $3 foam head from Sally's beauty supply to keep the wig on and brush it out to the style I want before the shoot. 

After reading this thread, and having done my first pinup shoot using a wig from the studio, I have definitely decided that I should get a pin up style wig. So far in doing a web search, the one I like best is a Betty Grable style wig I found on eBay. Some of the retro wigs I've seen for sale look SO cheap. I try not to pay more than $50 for a wig. But I don't want one that is like a one use wig usable only on Halloween night.

Anyway, any suggestions for good reasonably priced pinup style wigs?

I found a nice 1930s style wig online for under $50.  yeah, some of the costume retro wigs don't look the best.  I like Dee Dee's idea of getting a foam head... and then getting a wig (shoulder length w/bangs or at least a wig with enough hair for the sort of curls you want?) to practice making the pin curls.  Now that I think on it, I might try that approach myself.  It seems like pinup stuff in general is getting more popular, maybe it will eventually be easier to find better quality pinup wigs?

For fun, check this site:  http://www.vegasgirlwigs.com/

I haven't looked at it in a while, and I don't remember if they had pinup styles, but I remember my jaw dropping at the overall fabulosity.

I've seen Masuimi in some fantastic Bettie Page style wigs - where on earth do I find a (decent) one of those?!

Bettie page wigs are just medium length straight hair w/bangs, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something like that at a local wig store.  (I wish I could find a friend to go to a wig store w/me, but my friends are.....boring....I mean, conventional.)

I just got a couple of wigs that I ordered off of eBay. I have not even taken them out of their packages. One is described as a Jeanm Harlow style. And the other is kind of a Sixties flip. More when I try them out.

I love [read:L-O-V-E LOVE] wigs and hairpieces! I think they can add an extra element of fun or that extra-oomph if matched to your natural hair! :)

I prefer bright colors for the most part, but on days when I am shooting outdoors, in in-climate conditions such as rain, high heat or in high wind, styled wigs [or curled wigs] come through when my hair falls flat. Literally.

Aoife, post pics of the Jean Harlow style!  I may have seen that one on ebay.

Aoife K said:

I just got a couple of wigs that I ordered off of eBay. I have not even taken them out of their packages. One is described as a Jeanm Harlow style. And the other is kind of a Sixties flip. More when I try them out.

I love wigs i have two blonde ones and a white kinda one! :) 

I think there handier then spendin time doin your hair and at least if you wasnted a different colour you dont need to dye it just pop on a  wig! :P 

I have tried on my new wigs. They look great and both were only about $30. I do promise to post some photos when I get a chance to look my best in order to show off the wigs. Hopefully within a week I will post pics.

Well I had said that I would show pics of me in my new-ish retro style wigs. I think that now I have bought four. Each one I bought via eBay and just searched retro wig or vintage style wig. They are perfect for making a completely different look. Each cost in the 30 to 40 dollar range, cheaper than a visit to the beauty salon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service