Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Why do Vintage Suits by Mary cost more than a suit from Walmart?

I've noticed lately that because of the prevalence of stores like Walmart and Forever 21 that some people don't understand why a playsuit would cost nearly one hundred dollars.

Back in the 1940s and 50s, swimsuits and playsuits were made differently. They were fully lined. They had boning. They had cups. They had zippers and buttons. AND, they fit! They also lasted longer than 6 months. My suits are made the same way, with the same inner foundation.

I understand why folks shop at these stores; I don't have a lot of spare cash myself. But for people that love vintage, my suits are a godsend. You just can't wear your vintage Rose Marie Reid in the pool without it disintegrating from age. Also, you can order a size that fits, NOT squeeze yourself into whatever size that fabulous playsuit happens to be!

I could make cheaper suits, but I won't, just because so many other companies already make them. Very few companies make them the old fashioned way.

I hope this has enlightened a few people! :)

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fantastic post, THANK YOU!

(moved to fashion & shopping forum)
Great post!
I believe it's the same when people are looking for “cheap corsets”.
If you want the real deal, it will cost you. But the reward is a garment that lasts, fits you and looks amazing makes it worth it.
My favorite dresses are the ones that are made to last, I time to time buy something from Forever21 or whatever and think the item is lovely at firt, but after it been used a few times, you start to see the difference.
Your suits are amazing. They are on my list of wants, which is slowly becoming less

and quite frankly if you cant afford something, save up for it. Something like this will last you for god knows how long. I save up for things regularly, but people seem to have lost that ability these days.
And if you save for it, you tend to appreciate the item more.
LOL, Tifa! There is such a huge difference between a "corset" and a CORSET. One gives you curves, and the other looks like you are wearing a toilet paper tube.

Tifa said:
Great post!
Yes indeed! ^^
I get asked all the time on about where to find corsets for around 20-70 USD, my question back to them iso you want a corset or a corset-ish top??. People don't realize the work behind some garments...

Vintage Suits by Mary said:
LOL, Tifa! There is such a huge difference between a "corset" and a CORSET. One gives you curves, and the other looks like you are wearing a toilet paper tube.

Tifa said:
Great post!
i dont own a mary suit, YET... but it is quite clear that they are QUALiTY!!!! and anyone who knows a good product when they see one, sees a good product in MARY, clearly not WALLY-WORLD suits!
I actually have one of your playsuits, and as a seamstress I can say that they are AMAZINGLY crafted. Quality all the way! I'll be buying many many more, as my seamstress skills don't extend past outerwear clothing!

Keep it up Mary! your amazing!
"Why do Vintage Suits by Mary cost more than a suit from Walmart?"

Because Vintage Suits by Mary is the s***, and Walmart is shitty. End of story.
Thank you so much, Honey!

Honey B Hooligan {Madam} said:
I actually have one of your playsuits, and as a seamstress I can say that they are AMAZINGLY crafted. Quality all the way! I'll be buying many many more, as my seamstress skills don't extend past outerwear clothing!

Hey, the pleasure is all mine, trust me! Just keep doing what you're doing! You have a very loyal following here on PL, and I'm SURE many other places!

Vintage Suits by Mary said:
Thank you so much, Honey!

Honey B Hooligan {Madam} said:

Wow--I found it amazing that anyone could compare your suits to anything that would go near a Walmart retail floor. Your suits are gorgeous--and you so obviously put a lot of tlc into what you do. You don't ever have to compromise your art.
Amen sister! I understand a person's need/want for low-price goods, but there comes a time when quality wins out over price. And yes, you get what you pay for. Keep up the good work; I shudder to think what this country would be like without true craftspeople like yourself - WalMarts as far as the eye can see! Ugh!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service