Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I hate when I am out in town & get the same statement "I love that look. I'm kinda trying that retro thing now, Pin-Up is the it thing right now, it's so in" I have never been one to follow, in fact I have a unique look. I don't have an ego, but it seems that after I wear something or do something, I see 3 people out in town with the same thing. Way to be original. Let me do my thing & leave me out of the catagories please. Those who are fake, the posers, the coppy-cats are lost without someone to follow.

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed!

Linda Pistola said:</... embrace the era, do it your way and smile when someone wants to do what you're doing...it's the biggest compliment.
what bugs me the most is when I see a woman who has a similar taste as I do, and she snobbs me... like I'm not "pin up" or "retro" enough to be around her...

back to the topic on hand (sorry, I had to veer)
it's one thing to be inspired and fall in love with the fashion, it's another to notice that it's the "in" thing to do, try to copy it, and then when the Fad changes and dump the "retro" look like yesterdays news...

like Katy Perry for instance. she's using the Pin Up look to make money, because it's "In".. when it's out she'll change.
I say enjoy the fact that we can get curtain items for a little bit cheaper at the time bc it wont last for to long! As for the random girls doing it for a fad GOOD maybe they will learn to have a little more class about themselves and pass it on!
Exactly:) On the last part.

Miss Nikki Sin{★} said:
what bugs me the most is when I see a woman who has a similar taste as I do, and she snobbs me... like I'm not "pin up" or "retro" enough to be around her...

it's one thing to be inspired and fall in love with the fashion, it's another to notice that it's the "in" thing to do, try to copy it, and then when the Fad changes and dump the "retro" look like yesterdays news...

like Katy Perry for instance. she's using the Pin Up look to make money, because it's "In".. when it's out she'll change.
Actually Katy rocked the pinup inspired look even before being famous. However of course with fame comes $, and $ allowed her to go all out with style now so its much more flashier and very much Alt Pinup. She, like many that appreciate older styles goes between 80s retro, alt, & classic pinup.

Will she morph into something else? Who knows really, will Beyonce? Lets hope they dont!

Deamon Doll said:
Exactly:) On the last part.
Miss Nikki Sin{★} said:

So many ladies (and Edson) here have made good points, but this is the best one IMO. I agree 100%. We are all part of a subculture, and we are all "copying' someone. But the truth is, it's not copying, it's pulling inspiration from people we admire. I love seeing those girls who are in it for the fad, one reason is because I know it'll make the stuff I want easier and cheaper, but the main reason is because I love this lifestyle. And if these girls start with the look, and then learn more... great!! Because after all, didn't we all start in this lifestyle because we loved the look?

Linda Pistola said:
Unless you are Lily Christine, Greta Garbo, Bettie Page, Veronica Lake or anyone from these eras....then you too are like those people you talk about that bother you for wanting to replicate a version of the old hollywood and/or pinup "look". It's better to just be flattered when someone likes something you're doing so much that they actually start to make an attempt at their own version on it...you know, kinda like how all the old glamazons and original pinups of the golden eras would be flattered by your attempts on a "style"/"look' that THEY PIONEERED. Back in the day, the women of glamour were the epitome of fashion, glamour, sassiness, and most of all a very visible sense of self-security. Insecurity comes out in negativity... embrace the era, do it your way and smile when someone wants to do what you're doing...it's the biggest compliment.
I couldn't have said it better!

Linda Pistola said:
Unless you are Lily Christine, Greta Garbo, Bettie Page, Veronica Lake or anyone from these eras....then you too are like those people you talk about that bother you for wanting to replicate a version of the old hollywood and/or pinup "look". It's better to just be flattered when someone likes something you're doing so much that they actually start to make an attempt at their own version on it...you know, kinda like how all the old glamazons and original pinups of the golden eras would be flattered by your attempts on a "style"/"look' that THEY PIONEERED. Back in the day, the women of glamour were the epitome of fashion, glamour, sassiness, and most of all a very visible sense of self-security. Insecurity comes out in negativity... embrace the era, do it your way and smile when someone wants to do what you're doing...it's the biggest compliment.
Apparently the weekender that I went to last weekend used to be a lot like that when it started out. It was so elitest that even my incredibly vintage neighbours and friends didn't feel 'worthy'! Luckily now it's a lot better!

Miss Nikki Sin{★} said:

Roxy I love this, sooooo true. I like to think of this lifestyle as inspirational! I am inspired by the look of another time period! The style isn't necessarily unique, but we all wear it different and bring our own beauty to it!

Roxy Tart {Madam} said:
So many ladies (and Edson) here have made good points, but this is the best one IMO. I agree 100%. We are all part of a subculture, and we are all "copying' someone. But the truth is, it's not copying, it's pulling inspiration from people we admire. I love seeing those girls who are in it for the fad, one reason is because I know it'll make the stuff I want easier and cheaper, but the main reason is because I love this lifestyle. And if these girls start with the look, and then learn more... great!! Because after all, didn't we all start in this lifestyle because we loved the look?

Linda Pistola said:
I like to dress the way i like pin-up or not,just my own style, I know some people might get mad about what Iam about to say,but it's just something that was brought to my attention like 8 or 9 years ago when i went to my 1st VLV, my friends were dead set against me buying anything with cherries,flames,dice polk a dots etc... they were like those for the "newbies" that don't know shitt and when you wear that you will look like a newb and stick out like a sore thumb..lol.. i thought ok,so they guided me to thrift stores and great vintage finds,don't get me wrong certain stuff from my baby jo's and stores like that are cute,but you have to becareful,at a major event because you might see 10 other girls w/the same dress, I hate that so vintage is the way to go or get frabic and design your own dress,take it to a seamstress, but whatever, till this day i never bought a cherry dress and even though i might see one i like my friends voice comes out in the back of my mind saying NO!! NO!! lol! main stream tries to copy but they don't live it so they really don't know whats up,sticking a flower in your hair,red lipstick and a retro dress for the day?? well,just make sure you do it right,because if not(and i have seen it first hand)looks very ,I am a fake pin-up for the day!!
Yes, gotta hate the "sizing you up" evil eye...it happens too often around here..even though the scene is too small for that b*******. It makes staying home more enjoyable then going to the (all too rare) rockabilly show which is really f****** sad. Let's stop with the snobbery please.

Deamon Doll said:
Trends come and go but personality is forever. If you love a certain style then rock it like there is no tomorrow but never let someone label you. Whats strange to me is when some girls in the scene who you dont know see you and all of sudden their sizing you up, I freak'n hate that. A simple hello I like your outfit or something would be nice. I'd rather get a compliment from someone whos not into the scene than someone gawking with the evil eye who is.
Totally agree with this. Just be happy you inspired someone to try it out and help them figure out their "thing". Maybe, like me, they have been a long time fan of the pin up look and seeing someone doing it gave them the push to get into it.

I've been a fan since I was a little girl and seeing that there was a local pin up group here inspired me to get started. Unfortunately, even if I could afford some of the clothing I see, I still wouldn't buy 'em (I'm not ashamed to admit I'm cheap). So bring on the Walmart pencil skirts... wait who's Walmart has pencil skirts for ten bucks?! haha

I'm doing my own thing and sure as heck don't care if someone thinks I'm a poser

Linda Pistola said:
ok...i'm about to piss some people off but, whatever. I used to have this attitude about things. But as i'm getting older, I am realizing it's so pointless to walk around trying to one-up people with my "original" look,and trying to prove that i've been into something since i was in my mothers womb. Unless you are Lily Christine, Greta Garbo, Bettie Page, Veronica Lake or anyone from these eras....then you too are like those people you talk about that bother you for wanting to replicate a version of the old hollywood and/or pinup "look". It's better to just be flattered when someone likes something you're doing so much that they actually start to make an attempt at their own version on it...you know, kinda like how all the old glamazons and original pinups of the golden eras would be flattered by your attempts on a "style"/"look' that THEY PIONEERED. Back in the day, the women of glamour were the epitome of fashion, glamour, sassiness, and most of all a very visible sense of self-security. Insecurity comes out in negativity... embrace the era, do it your way and smile when someone wants to do what you're doing...it's the biggest compliment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service