Advertise on PinupLifestyle
right now I am currently saving up for a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS lens (I have $1250 so far). money saved up for camera gear is always from side jobs so naturally it takes some time to save up for it. does anyone here own pre-owned lenses?? if so was it worth it?? every now & then I see one go for about $1500 or so used but I get a little worried since it's used.

any advice apperciated

thanx in advance

DR

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, i have bought several used cameras and len's. I dont have the patience (or the money) to buy them now. I know you can buy them refurbished at B&H and they come with a warranty.

I have bought a couple of lenses from POTN, always used paypal so that both me and the seller were covered.
you actually answered an unasked question of mine. I've seen a few on POTN that I wouldnt mind purchasing but since i've never made a transaction person to person I get kind of nervous.

Goldie said:
yes, i have bought several used cameras and len's. I dont have the patience (or the money) to buy them now. I know you can buy them refurbished at B&H and they come with a warranty.

I have bought a couple of lenses from POTN, always used paypal so that both me and the seller were covered.
Also look around for places to rent lenses. Lots of photographers are doing this these days and the cool thing is that you'll also be able to get some advice from the shop regarding your use of the lens. Call the local photogeek shops...
I have rented a couple of lens's to try from lensrentals.com (there is like a 5% discount code out there) And then proceeded to buy them later, real easy way to try and buy. Plus i think they do free 2nd day air? I think 2 weeks with a fish eye and telephoto cost me like $250 including shipping which was great because it was for a special event!

And yes, just watch who you buy from on POTN, and always ask questions. You can always search there old post's to see if they have sold before on there and what there track record is like. I just sold my 1D on there. The guy tried wanted to send it as a "gift" but if you read the rules to that there is no seller protection! Always look out for you first!!!

Edson C. {PL Team} said:
Also look around for places to rent lenses. Lots of photographers are doing this these days and the cool thing is that you'll also be able to get some advice from the shop regarding your use of the lens. Call the local photogeek shops...
thanx for the heads up on the gift option. I did not know there was no seller protection for that. I would love to get it brand new but i'm hoping to have it by the end of the month or early next.

DR

Goldie said:
I have rented a couple of lens's to try from lensrentals.com (there is like a 5% discount code out there) And then proceeded to buy them later, real easy way to try and buy. Plus i think they do free 2nd day air? I think 2 weeks with a fish eye and telephoto cost me like $250 including shipping which was great because it was for a special event!

And yes, just watch who you buy from on POTN, and always ask questions. You can always search there old post's to see if they have sold before on there and what there track record is like. I just sold my 1D on there. The guy tried wanted to send it as a "gift" but if you read the rules to that there is no seller protection! Always look out for you first!!!

Edson C. {PL Team} said:
It shouldn't be a problem. Always look through the lens, off the camera, to check for mould and fluff. Also check the connections on the bayonet ring to make sure they are in good condition.
Out of interest, why that lens in particular?- I use the 70 -200mm f4 canon L series professionally for weddings and it has served me well for over 5 years and I love it!
It is very light and compact and extremely sharp. Should cost about £700 new.
my buddy uses this lens and swears by it for mma & jiu-jitsu events (which is what I want it for). not being able to be near the ring/cage/action this lens suits him well. i'm still researching all my options. I definitely want to stick w/ a Canon L lens. whether or not I need the f2.8 vs f4 is still in debate. working in the sign industry has spoiled me with pretty sharp images, If they can be achieved w/ the f4 in lower lit areas I can deal with it (plus it wouldnt be too damaging to my side moneys).

thank you all for your input. i'm still searching & researching...

Fiona Wilson said:
It shouldn't be a problem. Always look through the lens, off the camera, to check for mould and fluff. Also check the connections on the bayonet ring to make sure they are in good condition.
Out of interest, why that lens in particular?- I use the 70 -200mm f4 canon L series professionally for weddings and it has served me well for over 5 years and I love it! It is very light and compact and extremely sharp. Should cost about £700 new.
I second the B&H used inventory purchase. It won't be as cheap as buying from a guy on the internet, but they really check everything out and rate the condition of the item.
You can also try big rental houses moving old stock, like Bexel, but they may be only video/broadcast.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service