Advertise on PinupLifestyle
Ok so the local girls (Hard Knox Roller Girls) have posters all over town looking for new recruits, I was wondering if there are any derby girls here on PL? What are the worst injuries you have had or seen? If you dont care to share what is your day job? I would imagine being covered in black and blues could cause some raised eye brows and possibly a "how are things at home?" talk from co workers.
Also if you are a local check out the HKRGs here www.hardknoxrollergirls.com

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love roller derby. It's the bomb
I've never done roller derby because I'm a wimp and don't want to get hurt. I had a good friend who knocked out her front teeth at practice, and no the B.A.D. Girls (Bay Area Roller Derby) make it mandatory to wear mouth gears.
Kim, I'm a "wimp" too. I worked with a girl from the L.A. Derby Dolls and she is a sculptor who broke her arm horribly one season. My husband works with another Derby Doll from time to time and she's never had any major injuries, just bruises. It can't hurt too much to give it a try. Let us know how you do.
Haha ok ok I emailed them to see what they are looking for and I will keep you updated!
I skated for Tucson Roller Derby for two years and started a league in N. Arizona after I moved. I've been involved in derby for a total of about 4 years now.

I couldn't skate a lick when I started. But TRD taught me well and it was life changing. I broke my wrist and some other gals tore ACLs and stuff (surgery) but if you learn how to skate and how to fall, you'll be less prone to injuries. I also had a groin injury within my first six weeks, but that was my own fault. I know gals who have been skating for 6 plus years and no major injuries. Most common are knee injuries. You must have a good set of knee pads since you will be falling a lot.

I'm on my way out of derby as a skater because I want to get back into burlesque and the bruises are just too difficult to cover up sometimes...haha. I currently ref for the league I founded. I have a game this coming weekend.
That is so awesome! Thanks for all the info! sadly i emailed the girls here and they havent gotten back to me yet :( but thats ok im in the middle of a bunch of stuff!

Annie Mae said:
I skated for Tucson Roller Derby for two years and started a league in N. Arizona after I moved. I've been involved in derby for a total of about 4 years now.

I couldn't skate a lick when I started. But TRD taught me well and it was life changing. I broke my wrist and some other gals tore ACLs and stuff (surgery) but if you learn how to skate and how to fall, you'll be less prone to injuries. I also had a groin injury within my first six weeks, but that was my own fault. I know gals who have been skating for 6 plus years and no major injuries. Most common are knee injuries. You must have a good set of knee pads since you will be falling a lot.

I'm on my way out of derby as a skater because I want to get back into burlesque and the bruises are just too difficult to cover up sometimes...haha. I currently ref for the league I founded. I have a game this coming weekend.
Do they have an open recruit night? Usually you can just show up to those. We didn't have any expectation of people buying skates and gear until they tried it. Our initial recruit night was just a Q & A session.
Keep trying...if you emailed the address on the website, it's probably that no one has checked it. Show up to recruit night or a practice if you have to. We had people drop in to scrimmage, practices, etc. to get questions answered.

Keep going! You can do it! :)

You've also got leagues in Memphis and Nashville.
I skated with PVRD for awhile and loved it! My first practice my friend who brought me severly broke his leg and ankle in three places :( Unfortunately my day job (plumber) is life consuming and doesn't leave much time or energy for anything else so i had to quite.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service