Advertise on PinupLifestyle
As there are many aspiring models on Pin-up Lifestyle, I was wondering if you as a professional are willing to share some of your favorite resources. Do you know of a good book or video? How about workshops with the area and information? Ways to practice "your look" on a budget?

I personally read alot and would love to know if there are any books out there worth picking up!

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know of any specific book - I get a lot of my inspiration from everywhere - hot rod books, people's pages on here and MySpace, magazines (tattoo, delux, etc.), clothing companies, music, and the lifestyle I grew up loving...

Being a pin-up is all about the attitude, and the beauty of being yourself. Practice your look in the mirror. I will get all dolled up and put on some tunes and pose my little heart in front of my full length mirror in the closet. It sounds silly, but it honestly helps me a ton.

Good luck Doll!
The Great American Pin-Up! Great book that covers just about all the greatest artists of the first half of the 20th century. You can usually find it at Borders or Barnes and Noble. Has some gorgeous examples of artists' work like Pearl Frush, George Petty, Joyce Ballantine, Vargas and more. One of my favorite books for inspiration.

The way I dress on a budget: I hit those sales racks at mainstream stores like Dillards (you can get some fabulous retro inspired dresses for great prices when they're on sale!), Rainbow, Body Central, Ross, TJMaxx, Marshalls etc. I've always been a thrifty shopper when it comes to my wardrobe and when you're on a military pay you kinda have to be. I found a genuine fur shrug at Dillard's that was normally $115 for $10! There was nothing wrong with it other than it was missing a decorative button and it was the last of their stock. I don't normally buy fur as I'm typically a faux fur gal but at that price I couldn't pass it up. I've found great formal and semi-formal dresses for around $15 to $30 bucks at Dillard's that were normally between $60 and $90. Body Central, Papaya and Rainbow even though they are geared more towards the urban wear crowd tend to have some really great retro inspired pieces from time to time. And stores like Ross, TJMaxx and Marshall's will have some awesome name brand shoes for really great prices. I've bought a lot of retro inspired clothes and jeans at Ross for cheap. I will from time to time buy one expensive piece and then accessorize on a budget but that expensive piece has to be something I will wear over and over again. I have to absolutely love it or I will feel I've wasted my money. I can't afford things from Stop Staring or Pinup Girl so I make do. And I haven't had too many problems or complaints as a result.
You know, I've heard that from many models! I started to do just that and then one day my husband walks in and gives me this funny look...and then turns around and walked back out. Silly man. Doesn't he know trix are for him. ;)

Betty Red said:
I don't know of any specific book - I get a lot of my inspiration from everywhere - hot rod books, people's pages on here and MySpace, magazines (tattoo, delux, etc.), clothing companies, music, and the lifestyle I grew up loving...

Being a pin-up is all about the attitude, and the beauty of being yourself. Practice your look in the mirror. I will get all dolled up and put on some tunes and pose my little heart in front of my full length mirror in the closet. It sounds silly, but it honestly helps me a ton.

Good luck Doll!
Oh yeah!! That book is rad!!

Ellie Retrophilia said:
The Great American Pin-Up! Great book that covers just about all the greatest artists of the first half of the 20th century. You can usually find it at Borders or Barnes and Noble. Has some gorgeous examples of artists' work like Pearl Frush, George Petty, Joyce Ballantine, Vargas and more. One of my favorite books for inspiration.

The way I dress on a budget: I hit those sales racks at mainstream stores like Dillards (you can get some fabulous retro inspired dresses for great prices when they're on sale!), Rainbow, Body Central, Ross, TJMaxx, Marshalls etc. I've always been a thrifty shopper when it comes to my wardrobe and when you're on a military pay you kinda have to be. I found a genuine fur shrug at Dillard's that was normally $115 for $10! There was nothing wrong with it other than it was missing a decorative button and it was the last of their stock. I don't normally buy fur as I'm typically a faux fur gal but at that price I couldn't pass it up. I've found great formal and semi-formal dresses for around $15 to $30 bucks at Dillard's that were normally between $60 and $90. Body Central, Papaya and Rainbow even though they are geared more towards the urban wear crowd tend to have some really great retro inspired pieces from time to time. And stores like Ross, TJMaxx and Marshall's will have some awesome name brand shoes for really great prices. I've bought a lot of retro inspired clothes and jeans at Ross for cheap. I will from time to time buy one expensive piece and then accessorize on a budget but that expensive piece has to be something I will wear over and over again. I have to absolutely love it or I will feel I've wasted my money. I can't afford things from Stop Staring or Pinup Girl so I make do. And I haven't had too many problems or complaints as a result.
that was extremely helpful! Thank you!

sfphotojournal said:

From Ford Model Agency, Model Posing 101.

Sounds cheesy but give quite a lot of good information.

Ms. Foxx,

Here's some of experiences I've had on the otherside of the camera, otherwise known as the "Darkside".

The best models are not those who are the prettiest, but those that can elicit an emotional reaction from the viewer.

As Ms. Red said get yourself a full length mirror and practice.

But when you practice be courageous with your self-critiques.

You should also learn some basics about photography and most important lighting.

It's sad to say but most photographers today don't know how to pose a model to her best advantage, so you shouldn't expect too much direction and be prepared to direct yourself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service