Advertise on PinupLifestyle
After a recent forum post on this topic I got to thinking. I wanted to express my opinion about what I think of mainstream pop Icons sporting the Pinup look. It also goes much deeper into whether or not pinup is a fad and as some have called it a "thing". Everyone is entitled to their own opinions which is what makes the world so wonderful. If you'd like to know where I stand on this issue, take a peek at my most recent post by clicking on my banner. As always I'd love to hear your opinion on this topic! Take Care,
xoxo
Aubrey

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whenever I first started noticing stars doing the Pin Up look, I generally loved it. The gals that do it, do it well, and at least give the style justice. They may not live the lifestyle, but I can understand and support their reasoning for wanting to experiment with the look. Pin Ups are gorgeous, and deep down, all women want to be one. That's where most Pin Up photographers make the most money; giving ladies makeovers to be a Pin Up for a day. I'd never pass judgment over the gals that want to be a Pin Up for just one day, saying "oh you don't live the lifestyle blah blah blah". Sometimes you just have to overlook the fact that it doesn't *have* to be a lifestyle to just be a style in general. I've always been more so concerned about their followers, but I rarely notice anyone trying to pull off the Pin Up look at all, let alone just because some famous lady on TV was doing it.
I am so with ya on this--it's not a fad or a "thing" for me--it's something that I've always loved and always will. I thank my parents and my granny for showing me the way to the past and introducing me to the trailblazers of fashion and music. I don't think you are ranting, Aubrey, I think you are clearly stating your opinion and doing so very well. Nor do I think of myself as creating the style nor do I get annoyed when I see other people that rock it. I say do what makes you happy and always be true to who you are. Viva la Pin up!
I'll be honest, I didn't get into pin up until Katy Perry brought it to my attention (which is probably as mainstream as you can get!) But I think that the difference is that, since I have become aware of it, I have been keen to explore it, learn more about it and understand it, as a style and a lifestyle. That may make me a poser, but I'm just happy to be a part of it
xxx
I don't think you are a poser at all. I believe in people experimenting , just like Tessa had mentioned before. It's great that you saw the style and want to explore your fasion choices. That's what fashion is all about. The key thing that you said, is that you want to make it a lifestyle, which is cool. Everyone has a starting point. Just because you haven't loved since you came out of the womb, doesn't mean you can't a relationship with the Pinup style. Thanks for voicing your thoughts Baby B !!!!!!

Baby B said:
I'll be honest, I didn't get into pin up until Katy Perry brought it to my attention (which is probably as mainstream as you can get!) But I think that the difference is that, since I have become aware of it, I have been keen to explore it, learn more about it and understand it, as a style and a lifestyle. That may make me a poser, but I'm just happy to be a part of it
xxx
my feelings about the topic are as followed...

people only really care about their "lifestyle". when people feel like their "lifestyle" is being invaded by others whom they do not believe to be a part of it or posing, they get angry or upset. fashion is fashion it will always change, be copied and imitated by everyone who finds it to be interesting, cute, pretty, how ever it catches their eye. that is why i say the "lifestyle" is what brings people to defend their choice in style/fashion/lifestyle. we all live our lives differently than others, wether our fashion sense steers twards retro/vintage/pin-up/punk/rockabilly. there is not a standard set of living/lifestyle rules that accompany someone who choses to dress they way they do

if you have to put someone down for not being "pin-up" or cry "i was doing it long before so and so blah blah" you are doing to much...

be comfortable in your own skin and love your life. no one can ever dress a certain way that will discredit you as a person
I think that retro glamour is very alluring to all women. Men to this day still idolize Marilyn Monroe and Bettie Page. They personified beauty and grace. I think that a lot of women want to sport the look and channel their inner bombshell every once in a while, not necessarily everyday. I live this lifestyle because I love it. It isn't just a once and while look for me!
Not everyone understands that, but those that do are very dear to me <3!
It's great to hear a male point of view on this. You are absolutley right when you talk about lifestyles. No on can take your lifestyle away. It's yours. If you are true to the Pinup genre, then it'll always be yours. Honestly, should we be so worried about what others are doing? What benefit does it give us? Are we just hating on them just to do it or are we just so insecure about a possible flurry of pinup fans that we'll get drowned out???? If you believe in yourself and what you stand for then you will always stand up against anything that comes your way, whether it be a serious issue or something as simple as why "people are adopting a certain look you are wearing" Thank you El Muerto X for you comment.

El Muerto X said:
my feelings about the topic are as followed...

people only really care about their "lifestyle". when people feel like their "lifestyle" is being invaded by others whom they do not believe to be a part of it or posing, they get angry or upset. fashion is fashion it will always change, be copied and imitated by everyone who finds it to be interesting, cute, pretty, how ever it catches their eye. that is why i say the "lifestyle" is what brings people to defend their choice in style/fashion/lifestyle. we all live our lives differently than others, wether our fashion sense steers twards retro/vintage/pin-up/punk/rockabilly. there is not a standard set of living/lifestyle rules that accompany someone who choses to dress they way they do

if you have to put someone down for not being "pin-up" or cry "i was doing it long before so and so blah blah" you are doing to much...

be comfortable in your own skin and love your life. no one can ever dress a certain way that will discredit you as a person
I think when people are experimenting with it, just finding that it's their style, or finding themselves in it, things like that, well I think that's just fine, great even. But I dislike when people take pieces of the style for granted of don't appreciate where it came from, that's when I get kind of annoyed.
well. considering that I am a pin up model in training, and I totally don't dress pin up out side of shoots this topic so applies to me.. I guess I would be considered a "pin up poseur" because I don't live the Pin Up "lifestyle" and I don't look the part 100% of the time... what irritates me the most out of ANYTHING is when I pay a complement to a woman who has perfect V rolls, or a great outfit and she looks at me like, "Uhm, don't talk to me, I'm a Pin Up girl".... it breaks my heart but I know she's thinking "oh what a poseur..."

now I know that it is very rare for any of you lovely ladys to do such a cruel thing, so this is not directed at any of you...

as far at Katy Perry Being Pin up. she's not. She's Capitalizing on a Fad/Trend to make lots and lots of cash. that's my opinion.. lol
I think in Britain pin up snobbery is a lot less common - well, it is from what I've seen. At the Hayride last weekend I spoke to so many beautiful women who, although they may not be pin up models and etc, they certainly lived the lifestyle, and none of them snobbed me or my questions. Although some of them were intimidating in their style - they had it down to a T and I just don't know how seeing as we were camping! - they didn't mind me coming up to talk to them, in fact they were flattered! More of these pin up snobs should be flattered their being complimented by mere mortals!

Miss Nikki Sin{★} said:
well. considering that I am a pin up model in training, and I totally don't dress pin up out side of shoots this topic so applies to me.. I guess I would be considered a "pin up poseur" because I don't live the Pin Up "lifestyle" and I don't look the part 100% of the time... what irritates me the most out of ANYTHING is when I pay a complement to a woman who has perfect V rolls, or a great outfit and she looks at me like, "Uhm, don't talk to me, I'm a Pin Up girl".... it breaks my heart but I know she's thinking "oh what a poseur..."

now I know that it is very rare for any of you lovely ladys to do such a cruel thing, so this is not directed at any of you...

as far at Katy Perry Being Pin up. she's not. She's Capitalizing on a Fad/Trend to make lots and lots of cash. that's my opinion.. lol
People coming up to me in the streets or events giving me a compliment about my style gets me nothing but happy and honored that people say nice things!
I believe some people can be a bit snotty towards others but I also believe that it sometimes have to do with bad confidence.
Some people might look like glamorous, confident women but might not know how to take a compliment and therefore can be a bit “eum.. okey.. *look weird at the person saying a nice thing*”
Some people just can’t do the simple “thank you!”.
Of course there will always be people who have bad manners and look down on other people but try not to let them get to you.

Also, I have a friend with tattoos all over her arms. We were out one night at a club (mix between mainstream and semi rockers).
It was summer and she was warm but didn’t want to take off her jacket.
She- God it’s so warm!!
Me- Take of the jacket!
She – No, then I have to spend the evening talking to strangers about my tattoos. I just want to be left alone.
Me – Don’t be silly, people won’t even notice!
*takes of jacket* and 2 seconds later people were on her wanting to compliment, touch, ask about her tattoos.
She actually had to put it on so we could enjoy our conversation…
She really is a nice sweet girl, but after a while she did give people the roll eyes and trying to ignore them.
Impolite, yes, but she just did not have the energy.
So I believe there are more sides to things that some are being bitchy.

I’m a big believer in giving other people compliments and to be positive, don’t stop even if you encounter someone who gives you the “talkin’ to me? look".
At least you have been nice and done something positive, and she can go on being negative.

All people that gets an interest in a subculture/style starts somewhere.
Even Dita did.
you are absolutely right Tifa, Dita did start somewhere. We all do. I can also see how you were talking about your friend and the attention she gets from her tattoos, style and how it can get unwanted attention. That part makes sense too. I can also see the good side to it. Just like your story describes.....it depends on the mood of the person at that time too. About 99% of the time, I love talking to people about anything pinup, but sometimes, there's that 1% that I am too tired to even think. Irregardless, I support the Pinup genre fully and respect other people's opinions. I think it's good for us to debate over it from time to time , just to see other people's perspectives. It helps unite a community in good way, if you ask me. Thanks again for your input Tifa and take care!!!

Tifa said:
People coming up to me in the streets or events giving me a compliment about my style gets me nothing but happy and honored that people say nice things!
I believe some people can be a bit snotty towards others but I also believe that it sometimes have to do with bad confidence.
Some people might look like glamorous, confident women but might not know how to take a compliment and therefore can be a bit “eum.. okey.. *look weird at the person saying a nice thing*”
Some people just can’t do the simple “thank you!”.
Of course there will always be people who have bad manners and look down on other people but try not to let them get to you.

Also, I have a friend with tattoos all over her arms. We were out one night at a club (mix between mainstream and semi rockers).
It was summer and she was warm but didn’t want to take off her jacket.
She- God it’s so warm!!
Me- Take of the jacket!
She – No, then I have to spend the evening talking to strangers about my tattoos. I just want to be left alone.
Me – Don’t be silly, people won’t even notice!
*takes of jacket* and 2 seconds later people were on her wanting to compliment, touch, ask about her tattoos.
She actually had to put it on so we could enjoy our conversation…
She really is a nice sweet girl, but after a while she did give people the roll eyes and trying to ignore them.
Impolite, yes, but she just did not have the energy.
So I believe there are more sides to things that some are being bitchy.

I’m a big believer in giving other people compliments and to be positive, don’t stop even if you encounter someone who gives you the “talkin’ to me? look".
At least you have been nice and done something positive, and she can go on being negative.

All people that gets an interest in a subculture/style starts somewhere.
Even Dita did.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service