Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Pictures; Horrible (self) to Great (pro) here on PL, lets better self photography!

Well I have been here for a while and as a budding Pin Up photographer I review many of the pictures on this sight and have noticed a few things. First there are two major categories of pics, professionally  captured and snapshots.  The majority of professional shots look good but of course run from good to great, and so do the amateur pics but there is a very important distinction; the vast majority of amateur based pics, at least what I think are amateur tend to have the majority of them  relegated to the poor end of the spectrum. Many of them are obviously taken with cell phones and many of those in poor sets such as bathrooms, etc.

I say this because ladies, you deserve much better quality photos to show off your assets! So, my questions is; if we could get the various photographers here to start a segment on "How to create you own - Home Grown photo shoot would you be interested? I am a much better adult training instructor than photog but I would certainly contribute and I am sure the pros would too. I think we could help you become much better photographers, is there any interest??

Dan

Views: 988

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can offer some help for you budding pin-up girls out there.....I bring items from my vintage shop to dress and stylize the girls at Bettina May's pin-up classes.  Watching her do class after class for over a year now, I can tell you that this burlesque performer/pin-up model knows her stuff. If you have the cash to take a class...it will be money well spent.  If not she sells a DVD that is only $20 bucks and is her class word for word....including her posing tips.  I swear this girl can help make anyone photograph great!  Her website is www.pinupclass.com

you are so correct about it should be matching to the era....that can make or break an enitre shoot.

Dartmanz said:

I like this idea! I currently shoot Holltwood "glamour" photos of women over 50. I have also done pinups like the ones I've posted here. BrittanyJean is a professional model and was extremely easy to work with.

However, the discussion topics could range from lighting and posing to makeup and hair to what makes it a pinup of a particular era. I know some of the ones I have done are 'caught' by those historians out there. That hairdo doesn't match the clothing, furniture, etc, etc. So this discussion thread may be very instrumental in answering some of these questions or broken into smaller discussion theads.

Thoughts???

Being a full time professional photographer, I find it hard to just sum up, but I thought I'd try to point out a few things I feel like are the biggest issues when people take images themselves.

Timing- The thing about taking a picture on a timer or by remote is that you just can't see what you look like. When I'm shooting someone I tell them to tilt their head, turn a tiny bit to the left, dip your front shoulder just slightly, but that's because I'm constantly watching angles and how my subject looks in frame. It can also be about a "look" the second my model looks up at me, the way they glance over their shoulder, etc. I try to encourage my models to keep moving because I find it easier to work with a person in motion and then the posing doesn't become stiff and flat. These things are essentially impossible to do on a timer! So my suggestion is to even work with a friend. Set it all up and keep each other laughing. Have them fire the camera. At least if someone is looking at the frame they can say, your hand looks funny, or, wait, your hair isn't sitting right at all from this angle. It's especially great with someone who needs the same thing. That way, your both dressed up, you can trade out turns with who's in front of the camera and keep each other entertained.

White Balance- This is such a huge issue for a non-pro. Ever take a photo inside and have it come out really yellow/orange? This is because the color of the light indoors is completely different than outdoors. Or how about you're by a window and you use a lamp to light your other side and the side at the window is washed out and blue?  That's mixed lighting for you. Do your best to use light that's all from the same type/source. So if you're inside using a standard light bulb from your lamp, close the blinds and block out the light from outside. (or vice versa- with window light, turn off your interior lights) Use several lamps and make sure they all have the same kind of bulb. (those new halogen bulbs are a totally different color than the old school 60W and a completely different color than a fluorescent.) And then- this is very important- set your camera's WB (white balance) to indoor. The symbol on almost all digital cameras is a little light bulb. Camera's try to read the light and choose for themselves (this is what AWB means- auto white balance), but the more you can tell your camera what it is you're going for, the better it will do. This may mean you have to find your manual to your little point and shoot or google it and try to figure it out, but even your most basic camera will have this option.

Lighting- I will second someones comments above about playing with light. The better the camera, the better it will do with light sensitivity and quality, but it takes a lot more light than you think. I love the suggestion of getting a couple work lights from lowes. My other suggestion is to use a few lamps in your house and pull off the shades. You can also place a big white sheet out of frame on the dark side opposite the light the help reflect light back in and fill in shadows. Do you have one of those milar, shiny car window shades? That works great too! Also if you have a light that is just too harsh and creating too many shadows, bounce it off the nearest wall (neutral color only! don't bounce light off a red wall or your skin will be red/pink!) or shine it through a sheet to soften it. Now be careful with this. Some of those lights get really hot, so you don't want to set something on fire! Hang it off of something else in front of it without it touching the light. The other option is to back it up. A common mistake is to have the light too close. The further away it is, the more spread out and even the light will be. BUT just know that there's a fancy math law about light that tells you about how fats that light will lose it's power at a distance. (google the inverse square law if you're really curious ;) ) So the camera will slow down & lose light quickly, the further away the lights are. Oh, and turn off your flash. ALWAYS. On camera flash will scream that it's a point and shoot type image.

I know this is random stuff, but I hope it helps!! Good luck everyone!

*Erin

artandsoulphoto.com

Art & Soul Photography said:

Being a full time professional photographer, I find it hard to just sum up, but I thought I'd try to point out a few things I feel like are the biggest issues when people take images themselves.

*Erin

artandsoulphoto.com

Bravo Erin, spot on!

Tim Oliver said:

Hello all on PL,

First I want to make it clear that photographers spend a lot of time and money honing our craft and buying equipment. With that said I also understand that not everyone can have access to or afford a photographer. I do believe that you can take a pretty good amateur shot yourself. Here are some secrets....

(1) The camera. It does not have to be a $5,000 camera, but if you think you are going to get a great photo with your iPhone then I have some great Russian swampland to sell you. A digital SLR kit that you can get a major discount chain will work fine. Couple of hundred bucks max.

(2) Tripod. If you are not use to the focusing and holding of a camera I would suggest a cheap $50.00 or so tripod. It will make a big difference for eliminating camera shake.

(3) Lighting is what separates a professional from an amateur. Professional lighting sets can range from a couple of hundred bucks to millions. I do believe that you can do a decent job with some home lighting. Understand that lights need to be more powerful than you would think. I have seen some halogen construction lights on tripods (They sell them a your local Home Depot or Loews) used very effectively. An minimum of two are need with a smaller light to light up the backdrop. Placement should be a 45 degree angles from the model with one brighter than the other. Seldom do you want to shoot the model with light straight from the camera's view.

(4) The set is totally up to the photographer or model. In my humble opinion simple is better. If you look at classic pinups there were not much to the set. I would suggest adding a small prop to tie the model to the background. Use one on the smaller lights (shop lights will work) aimed at the backdrop to highlight it.

I hope this helps you guys. Again I want you to keep in mind that this is a very basic shoot set up. There are so many variables that professionals take into consideration to get that awesome shot. But that is what we do, study and learn and take lots of classes to understand our profession. If anyone has in specific questions I will try and answer them. G*** luck and send me a shot of what you take.

Tim

Geeky Pinups

Tim thanks for chiming in on this and you are correct about everything above! Ladies it is all, I repeat, all about the LIGHT!  There is some good info out on the web about using those halogen lights from the big box stores, "Getto Lighting" as it is often refered to can help trmendously.

Well it appears that there may be enough interest in this to try a "what" thread, or forum based on photography?  What is everyone's opinion as how best to accomplish?

Dan

We are already working on a PL group for this project. Keep commenting here and we will let you know when it is up and running.

I love your post. I have a hard time with lighting, getting it to match, getting the right angles, well a lot. It's one of my dumb points, lighting. I'm glad to hear this info because I don't have access to a lot of photographers  so if I could take some shots by myself I'd like to try.

Art & Soul Photography said:

Timing- The thing about taking a picture on a timer or by remote is that you just can't see what you look like. When I'm shooting someone I tell them to tilt their head, turn a tiny bit to the left, dip your front shoulder just slightly, but that's because I'm constantly watching angles and how my subject looks in frame. It can also be about a "look" the second my model looks up at me, the way they glance over their shoulder, etc. I try to encourage my models to keep moving because I find it easier to work with a person in motion and then the posing doesn't become stiff and flat. These things are essentially impossible to do on a timer! So my suggestion is to even work with a friend. Set it all up and keep each other laughing. Have them fire the camera. At least if someone is looking at the frame they can say, your hand looks funny, or, wait, your hair isn't sitting right at all from this angle. It's especially great with someone who needs the same thing. That way, your both dressed up, you can trade out turns with who's in front of the camera and keep each other entertained.

White Balance- This is such a huge issue for a non-pro. Ever take a photo inside and have it come out really yellow/orange? This is because the color of the light indoors is completely different than outdoors. Or how about you're by a window and you use a lamp to light your other side and the side at the window is washed out and blue?  That's mixed lighting for you. Do your best to use light that's all from the same type/source. So if you're inside using a standard light bulb from your lamp, close the blinds and block out the light from outside. (or vice versa- with window light, turn off your interior lights) Use several lamps and make sure they all have the same kind of bulb. (those new halogen bulbs are a totally different color than the old school 60W and a completely different color than a fluorescent.) And then- this is very important- set your camera's WB (white balance) to indoor. The symbol on almost all digital cameras is a little light bulb. Camera's try to read the light and choose for themselves (this is what AWB means- auto white balance), but the more you can tell your camera what it is you're going for, the better it will do. This may mean you have to find your manual to your little point and shoot or google it and try to figure it out, but even your most basic camera will have this option.

Lighting- I will second someones comments above about playing with light. The better the camera, the better it will do with light sensitivity and quality, but it takes a lot more light than you think. I love the suggestion of getting a couple work lights from lowes. My other suggestion is to use a few lamps in your house and pull off the shades. You can also place a big white sheet out of frame on the dark side opposite the light the help reflect light back in and fill in shadows. Do you have one of those milar, shiny car window shades? That works great too! Also if you have a light that is just too harsh and creating too many shadows, bounce it off the nearest wall (neutral color only! don't bounce light off a red wall or your skin will be red/pink!) or shine it through a sheet to soften it. Now be careful with this. Some of those lights get really hot, so you don't want to set something on fire! Hang it off of something else in front of it without it touching the light. The other option is to back it up. A common mistake is to have the light too close. The further away it is, the more spread out and even the light will be. BUT just know that there's a fancy math law about light that tells you about how fats that light will lose it's power at a distance. (google the inverse square law if you're really curious ;) ) So the camera will slow down & lose light quickly, the further away the lights are. Oh, and turn off your flash. ALWAYS. On camera flash will scream that it's a point and shoot type image.

I know this is random stuff, but I hope it helps!! Good luck everyone!

*Erin

artandsoulphoto.com

Lets talk cameras, first and foremost is the fact that I do not think you'll get the pictures you want using a cell phone. A camera in a cell phone is an afterthought, now I realize that all of them have them now but taking pictures is not the reason you buy a particular cell phone. Digital cameras are cheap and it goes without saying that the more you spend the more features the camera will have.

So what I would look for is a camera that takes a 10 mega pixel picture or greater from a major manufacture of photographic equipment such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. I also would look for one that has a tripod mount (no more self holding the camera Ladies). Also do not worry with digital zoom lenses, you always want to work with optical zooms because they are true zoom lenses, digital zooms just enlarge the picture at the expense of quality. Check out Steve's Digicam website for complete detailed reviews of digital cameras.

A couple of nice to have features are a hotshoe (place to attach an bigger flash) and a way to trigger the camera remotely. These are probably not going to be on the less expensive cameras but are well worth the cost if you are serious about taking self portraits.

You can get a decent camera for less that 100 dollars and can spend thousands on a professional one! I am sure that many of you may have some questions and I am sure there are many folks here that will answer specific questions so ask away....

Dan

That would make you my hero!  

So I want to stress that I'm in no way trying to discourage you from seeking out a pro. There's a HUGE difference in what a pro can do for you. I also want to address that editing is SUCH a major factor, too. I've seen great photos butchered by a bad photoshop filter or effect, and no matter what, a filter doesn't cover up a bad photo either.

I want to say that this video has been posted on here before, but since it applies, I thought I'd share it. This photographer is showing you where he's putting the lights and what direction he's shooting, so it's a good study. But I also want to stress that while a good camera can make a big difference, it's really about light, angles and editing. Don't buy into the megapixel myth. IMO, You're much better off learning how to get the most out of what you have, rather than buying a better camera that you still don't understand.

Here's the fashion shoot video: http://fstoppers.com/iphone

Also, if editing is your downfall, don't be afraid to send them out for retouching. For example, you've managed to get a great shot, but you can still see the zit you tried so hard to cover up, and there's major glare in your glasses so you can't see your killer blue eyes. Spend $10 and get it fixed here: http://www.retouchassistant.com/pricing.php

Again... this doesn't replace a pro. Save up, trade (I do family shots for my hair dresser in trade! I love it!) or whatever. I also want to caution people about spending $75 or $100 on someone who is only so so. It may not be to your advantage if they are just starting out, or need practice, if you don't really like what you end up with. Then it was a complete waste of $75 or $100! When instead, you could have saved for another couple of weeks, hired someone more experienced for $250, and gotten images you really love. Spend you money in smart ways. ;)

Just a reminder before this thread gets off topic. This is to help people take better SELF photos. It CAN be done with a phone or small point and shoot, you just need some practice and tips. Many beautiful photos have been taken with iphones, you just have to know what your doing. And this is not about sending people out to buy new cameras and lights, this is about taking better pictures with what you have. As the one who approves most of the photos here on PL, I can tell you that I do not like approving poor quality shots, but we allow it for new people so that they can have a few beginner photos. That being said, I LOVE the idea of people learning to take better self shots. These will NEVER replace a pro photo shoot, but are for fans, amateurs, or aspiring models to help them out, so that we don't have to be forced to comb though blurry, bad quality photos that don't show off how pretty someone might really be.

So instead of posting about buying new camera and equipment, how about we post tips to take better photos with what people already have.

My tip for today: Take 10, 20, 30 photos all with different expressions and from different angles, then go through and pick your best 2-4. Post only those, and be honest with yourself, if they are all bad, try again!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service