Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I'm a "flexitarian," which, for me, means that I only eat meat from animals that have lived natural lives: no factory farming, no feedlots, etc. As a result of my personal standards, I am pretty much a vegetarian.
I never ate bacon every day. When I was brunching regularly with friends, I'd maybe have it once a week. With a touch of maple syrup, please. But now that I can't have it at all, I crave it! My boy bought me a bacon-scented air freshener for my car (I refuse to take it out of the plastic wrapper) and we shared a Mo's Bacon Bar* from Vosges as a rare treat. I even found a recipe online for candied bacon, which I want to make when I find some happy-pig bacon! My favorite bacon, hands down, was Nueske's from Wisconsin. Lucky for me, I haven't been in Wisconsin since I went veggie, so I haven't been tempted. :)

What's your bacon story? Poppy? The floor is yours. :)

*That's Mo as in Mo Frechette from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI... and the bacon is Nueske's!

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agar flakes are easy to find around here (in fact I have a jar in my pantry) but it don't find it as "bouncy" as gelatin. The consistency of jelly vs. Jell-O. I'll have to find myself some xanthan! Thanks for the info.

Violet Fox said:
Agar is more finnicy than Xanthan.. And Guar Gum doesn't get quite the same results I found.. The Xanthan Gum seems to be more consistent and reliable.. A lot less of a headache really, and probably easier to find than the Agar=)

Poppy Fields said:
Thanks for the feedback - nice to hear from someone who has first-hand experience messing about with molecular gastro! My guess would be that agar-agar is more rubbery than xanthan? Did you ever use guar gum?

Violet Fox said:
Xanthan Gum and Agar make EXCELLENT subsitutes for gelletin.. That's if they aren't better than the REAL THING! I used to use them a lot as thickening agents and making jelly things at a restaurant I used to work at.. I'd take the Xanthan Gum over the Agar though.. We did a lot of molecular gastronomy accents with our dishes like passionfuit caviar and such.. It was awesome..!!

Oh, and did I metion that we smoke our own bacon at the restaurant that I work at now.. *grins* good lord is it ever tasty.

i'm on a prosciutto kick right now. tonight i am making squash medallians stuffed with three cheeses ( sharp cheddar,goat and swiss) and topped with breadcrumbs and prosciutto.
Oh, my. Goat cheese and prosciutto. OKAYYESPLEASETHANKYOU.

Ruby DeVille said:
i'm on a prosciutto kick right now. tonight i am making squash medallians stuffed with three cheeses ( sharp cheddar,goat and swiss) and topped with breadcrumbs and prosciutto.
And at the same time, this appeals to the other side of my brain. I'm ambacodextrous!

richie said:
YOU GOTTA TRY "TEXAS TOMMYS" IT'S A HOT DOG STUFFED WITH CHEDDER CHEESE, WRAPPED IN BACON AND DEEP FRIED. YUM!!!
Let me know if you want the recipe. It's pretty easy. and oh man it turned out amazing!

Wink Holliday said:

Ruby DeVille said:
I am savouring this in my brain mouth. It is delicious.
Recipe YESPLEASE!

Ruby DeVille said:
I'm with everybody else on that one.. Yummm... *again, holds napkin under chin in anticipation of forthcoming drool*

Ruby DeVille said:
Let me know if you want the recipe. It's pretty easy. and oh man it turned out amazing!

Wink Holliday said:

Ruby DeVille said:
I thought Jason Allen was the official meat of PL? ;)

sfphotojournal said:
Warning

Tracy - never ever admit that you don't eat bacon here on Pinuplifestyle©. And certainly don't ever admit that you don't like bacon. Bacon's like an obession for people here. It's crazy......oh crap I said too much.......

Anyway I love Bacon - "The Official Meat of PINUPLIFESTYLE©"

WHAT in ALL that is BACON?? That gun looks delicious. I would like to know the record amount of replies in a forum subject here on PL because so far bacon has roughly 125 and now 126 after I post this. Boy, PL really does love its bacon!
Now, someone turn this mother on I'm hungry!

a
sfphotojournal said:
Oh my god - chicken fried bacon! That's a fat girl's fantasy right there!

Poppy Fields said:
But... but... I feel bad now. How can I discuss nature's candy when you're abstaining? I will comfort myself with the image of you visiting a nice farm where they raise bacon naturally and hand picking a rasher or 10.

Okay.

My thing to make (as soon as I figure out a phyllo substitute): bak'nlava!!
Oh, and chicken fried bacon. I fully expect to die shortly thereafter, but I'll die happy. And salty.

When I think about you...
Oh my gracious - bacon! I commend you for your beliefs and I agree the treatment of food animals has got to improve. But.....I have to admit, I eat bacon. Not often, but when I do, I get my fill! Bacon goes good with everything! I dip my bacon in syrup, too - salty & sweet - yum! I found a site online where you can get bacon-flavored mints and dental floss; maybe you could satisfy your cravings that way! PhotobucketPhotobucket It's probably the same place your husband got the bacon-scented air freshener. www.perpetualkid.com. Damn, all this bacon talk is making me hungry!
Amen to that!

BadLuck Kimmee said:
If lovin bacon is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service