Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I'm a "flexitarian," which, for me, means that I only eat meat from animals that have lived natural lives: no factory farming, no feedlots, etc. As a result of my personal standards, I am pretty much a vegetarian.
I never ate bacon every day. When I was brunching regularly with friends, I'd maybe have it once a week. With a touch of maple syrup, please. But now that I can't have it at all, I crave it! My boy bought me a bacon-scented air freshener for my car (I refuse to take it out of the plastic wrapper) and we shared a Mo's Bacon Bar* from Vosges as a rare treat. I even found a recipe online for candied bacon, which I want to make when I find some happy-pig bacon! My favorite bacon, hands down, was Nueske's from Wisconsin. Lucky for me, I haven't been in Wisconsin since I went veggie, so I haven't been tempted. :)

What's your bacon story? Poppy? The floor is yours. :)

*That's Mo as in Mo Frechette from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI... and the bacon is Nueske's!

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

::imagining putting bacon salt on my bacon::
tee hee...
Sounds interesting. I'm hopelessly hooked on VE (Victorian Epicure) chili garlic salt, but I think I could divide my love evenly.

Wink Holliday said:
Has anyone tried Bacon Salt? It's vegetarian! I want real-world opinions on it.
Uuuuuuurgh ::shudder::
And only one thing smells like the 9th level of hell and that's Beggin' Strips!
Even my dog was scared of those things. Threw them out; was afraid of what they'd do to his already hellacious breath!

Wink Holliday said:
Purina offers free ringtones on their Web site... including the Beggin' Strips "Only one thing smells like bacon, and that's baconnnn!" sound byte!
http://www.purina.com/downloads/forphones/Ringtones.aspx
You're so right, on all accounts. "Real" bacon does taste incredibly different. My in-laws are friends with some good old fashioned live-off-the-land types, so we occasionally get to eat "real" vegetables and "real" meat and it's sooooo good. Pie crust made with genuine pig fat is the best!

sfphotojournal said:
The best bacon you will ever eat is bacon you make yourself. It's not that hard.

I make my own bacon because it taste better, it's cheaper and it doesn't have all the phosphates and nitrate.
WARNING! Food pr0n ahead!

I present to you: the Peanut Butter Bacon Burger!!! [click picture for bigger and more delicious version]

Someone call the paramedics 'cos yessiree, this is how I'm going out!
That's.... that's just... that ain't right. And yet, I want to taste it!

Poppy Fields said:
WARNING! Food pr0n ahead!

I present to you: the Peanut Butter Bacon Burger!!! [click picture for bigger and more delicious version]

Someone call the paramedics 'cos yessiree, this is how I'm going out!
Well, I've had...

- promise you'll still be my BFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <3<3<3 ?

bacon, peanut butter and banana grilled sandwiches.
More than once.
So adding the hamburger isn't really a stretch for me.
In fact, I'm thinking that the addition of feta cheese might enhance the whole experience quite nicely.

I NEED HELP!!!

Wink Holliday said:
I love PB&B(anana), and some bacon on there doesn't seem outrageous. Maybe I'm just hungry...

Poppy Fields said:
Well, I've had...

- promise you'll still be my BFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <3<3<3 ?

bacon, peanut butter and banana grilled sandwiches.
More than once.
So adding the hamburger isn't really a stretch for me.
In fact, I'm thinking that the addition of feta cheese might enhance the whole experience quite nicely.

I NEED HELP!!!

Wink Holliday said:
See, and I was raised on bacon and banana sandwiches. Didn't start eating PB until I came to Canada (where I was told that bacon and banana is just plain weird). I guess it's a natural progression for me to slap them all together!

But you know what goes well with bacon?
Potatoes.
Here's a little something I want to do sometime soon:

Boil & mash potatoes.
Add cheese. Parmesan would be good, I think.
Roll into balls. Stuff a little cube of cold butter into the centre of each ball.
'Fridge to firm up.
Dip in batter. And bread crumbs, why the hell not.
Deep fry.
Consume, occasionally thumping on chest to maintain regular heartbeat.
Sleep.

Wink Holliday said:
I love PB&B(anana), and some bacon on there doesn't seem outrageous. Maybe I'm just hungry...
I present to you: Paula Deen's Deep Fried Butter Balls
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-b...

Poppy Fields said:
Here's a little something I want to do sometime soon:
Boil & mash potatoes.
Add cheese. Parmesan would be good, I think.
Roll into balls. Stuff a little cube of cold butter into the centre of each ball.
'Fridge to firm up.
Dip in batter. And bread crumbs, why the hell not.
Deep fry.
Consume, occasionally thumping on chest to maintain regular heartbeat.
Sleep.

BWAHAHA! I sent that recipe to a friend of mine this week! We'd always joked that Paula Deen loves butter so much she'd probably deep fry it. And then THIS. Love it!

You know what, though - even I wouldn't eat deep fried butter.
You have to draw the (faint, wobbly) line somewhere.

Wink Holliday said:
I present to you: Paula Deen's Deep Fried Butter Balls
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-b...
lurve lurve bacon. serch around for local farmers, i know there is a free range piggy out there that has had a long happy free life and wants to be your tasty treat.
That's the spirit!
I have a strange urge to make bacon brittle now... I SHALL RESIST!

Delyssia LaBelle said:
lurve lurve bacon. serch around for local farmers, i know there is a free range piggy out there that has had a long happy free life and wants to be your tasty treat.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service