Advertise on PinupLifestyle
Anyone else in my boat? Try everything? (videos on the internet, books, styling lessons, ets) and STILL can't get it? I guess I am just hair challenged. I have bought everything.....3 different kinds of rollers, bobby pins galore, combs, you name it. Even a vintage hair dryer. So it's not lack of supplies......

I see other girls with rad hairstyles and want SO badly to be a "good hair" person but I always end in frustration with bobby pins, cans of hair spray, and junk strewn all over my bathroom and I still don't have victory rolls, just a matted up mess of hair and breakage everywhere from backcombing.

I've tried doing it the pincurl way and that was an even bigger disaster.

Has anyone ever tried that book "Vintage Hairstyling"?

or has anyone been like me for a long time and FINALLY found that one thing that helped you finally "get it"?

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks alot for the suggestions!

I work at a shop, so I am able to get products at cost through my co-workers. I already use Redken shampoos and conditioners, and have been wanting to try some of their styling products.....and I have seen one of our girls using that spray sratch before.
I have always liked Paul Mitchell stuff too, and used to use it alot a few years back.....it's not expensive either which I like.
I'm not sure if this has been said yet or not, but a non-traditional way of getting curls in your hair and getting them to STAY is to do flat iron curls. Spray the piece of hair liberally with hair spray (I prefer Chi Helmet Head--the best hairspray hands down for all retro styles) and then do a flat iron curl (I have a Chi iron, so that or something comparable in size would be handy). Finish up your whole head, then I essentially coat my hair with more Helmet Head, let it dry as it were, and then take my Isinis (soft bristle) brush and you just brush the crap out of the curls while setting them where you want them. Very very easy way to replicate Veronica Lake hair, or prep for rolling. Hope this helps. I also find it last for a few days....I've had it last up to four days....days three and four you can do really funky updos.

Another easy option is to go into a salon or hair school and get a rollerset, if you are unable to roll your own. I can do my own with magnetic rollers, but the set isn't rolled properly and thus creates more work when it comes to the brushout and backcomb. A proper rollerset can last up to a week. I've had em for seven days....and it might sound gross, but my hair looked fabulous every day. I find this works best on shoulder length hair as shorter tends to straighten out quicker...

K, I'll stop babbling!
It just takes a lot of practice. I was having a really hard time getting victory rolls and my Mother n Law told me a trick, you use your curling iron. you wrap your hair around it and hold on to the roll and then pull out the curling iron. It works great, sometimes it takes me 10 min to do my hair or even an hour or more. The right side is usually the hardest for me to do but it has worked, I hope that helps. It can be frustrated but it does take practice and i always try to do different things. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, good luck
Ok, ya'll.........I've been practicing. I did alot of practice for Viva because I ended up having some shoots and couldn't afford a hairsylist.....I've come up with some pretty good do's!!

I was super proud of this one, I did it for a pinup contest a few weeks ago:

I came up with this little number at Viva:

I use the curling iron trick all the time. Not only does it work great, it's super quick.

Christi, looks great!!! All the practice has payed off!

Riannon Rodriguez said:
It just takes a lot of practice. I was having a really hard time getting victory rolls and my Mother n Law told me a trick, you use your curling iron. you wrap your hair around it and hold on to the roll and then pull out the curling iron. It works great, sometimes it takes me 10 min to do my hair or even an hour or more. The right side is usually the hardest for me to do but it has worked, I hope that helps. It can be frustrated but it does take practice and i always try to do different things. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, good luck
you look fab hun, great work.

Christi Invicta said:
Ok, ya'll.........I've been practicing. I did alot of practice for Viva because I ended up having some shoots and couldn't afford a hairsylist.....I've come up with some pretty good do's!!

Easy peasy vintage hair can be done with the use of hot sticks, Dita uses them,and i swear by them!!! Roll the hair tight over the stick,then push the end of the stick through the loop,spray with setting lotion or Paul Mitchell super sculpt, let dry and go cool,and unwind,VOILA!
then either run fingers through hair or for a vintage wave, brush through.

Practice does make perfect with all vintage doo's

xxxx
Where does one get hot sticks? Im not too sure what they are.

Starla James said:
Easy peasy vintage hair can be done with the use of hot sticks, Dita uses them,and i swear by them!!! Roll the hair tight over the stick,then push the end of the stick through the loop,spray with setting lotion or Paul Mitchell super sculpt, let dry and go cool,and unwind,VOILA!
then either run fingers through hair or for a vintage wave, brush through.

Practice does make perfect with all vintage doo's

xxxx
About hot sticks. Are they: http://www.amazon.com/Conair-HS18W-Hot-Sticks-Hairsetter/dp/B002DMMS6W

If so, I can't use them because I am allergic to rubber/latex products. Any suggestions on something similar that won't cause a reaction? Thanks.
your hair looks awesome! i'm so jealous. and i love your yellow dress in that last pic, you look great!

Christi Invicta said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by