Advertise on PinupLifestyle

How do we really feel about online voting contests? What SUCKS about them?

Update: This is an old thread I stated awhile ago so I'm not in the contest anymore. I see the thread is still kickin though, nice!

OK. So I'm currently in an online voting contest and it's one that I REALLY want to win. I won't shamelessly try to promote it this time though :0)
My thoughts these days are, how fair are they really? Doesn't it seem more like a "who you know" contest rather then judged off of your talent, looks, personality, photography, and what not? Plus, it's so impersonal with the internet running the game. And whatever happened to the old school Pin Up contests that are held in public with judges? Let's bring that back! Maybe start a City to City contest kind of Dr. Sketchy's style? Yeeeeah, now I'm thinking! Awww, s***, I'm onto something. You heard it here first!
(DC, Dee, we will talk about this later, lol)
Luckily, the one I'm in is just boiling down to the last 12 contestants and then it's fairly judged by real people face to face on stage. I'm just curious what the outside looking in perspective is. I know that it is an attempt to get the contest holders company promoted without actually having to network to hundreds at a time which I understand is hard. And I understand that is a give/take because the model gets more face time on their sites and promotion out of it too. Sometimes this goes round and around in my head because I feel like my friends are getting worn thin with voting requests and frankly I'm assuming, a bit annoyed with it. Let's hear it PL!

And s***, if you all respond that you love it Seanna will be holding an online "Seanna's Favorite Pin Ups Contest" in March. You heard that here first too. Snap! (no I'm not drunk, I'm just extremely hyper right now.)

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It does seem to just be a popularity contest..whoever has the most friends whol will vote for her wins. I would'nt stand a chance because I've NEVER been Miss Popularity. Yes, I'm a social retard..I tend to say the wrong thing and offend even though it's NOT my intention! Oh well..
i take people off my friends list when i get the VOTE FOR ME email, i just get to many of them.
SO good to know!!! Thank you Dixie Diamond for asking this question! I'm in the contest as well, and have thought of bugging people to vote for me....glad I didn't. I will stick to bulletins :D Best of luck!!! XOXOXO
From a certain standpoint, online contests are not fair because it does boil down to how a model "markets" herself which includes tapping into her social network rather than being judged strictly on talent, style and beauty. On the other hand, it is fair because that's simply the way the world works. Someone can have all the talent in the world but will go nowhere if they fail to aggressively sell themselves! Guess it depends on how you choose to look at it. As for me, I personally avoid voting all together because I'm usually a prize sponsor :P
Hmm...yeah I have a problem with the "aggressive" marketing...people who are natural sales people give me the creeps. Can't stand them but to each her own I guess..
i hate voting.... but then again, AFTER i have hated them i was in a contest.. and asked for votes...
but i didnt win CAUSE there were SAVAGE vate asker's who were clearly online 24/7 during the vote process... and clearly won due to that... so i still hate vote contests...

BUT.... i do vote for gals of the PL, WHEN they post it kindly for us all to see in the SPOTLIGHT forum, when i see that a pinup has asked the PL for votes, posted in the SPOTLIGHT... i will totally follow the links and give my fare vote!

xoxo Soda Shop Sue
Totally with you on that Soda, a PL gal win is a win for ALL of PL. I will always support those who ask in the spotlight forum.

Soda Shop Sue said:
i hate voting.... but then again, AFTER i have hated them i was in a contest.. and asked for votes...
but i didnt win CAUSE there were SAVAGE vate asker's who were clearly online 24/7 during the vote process... and clearly won due to that... so i still hate vote contests...

BUT.... i do vote for gals of the PL, WHEN they post it kindly for us all to see in the SPOTLIGHT forum, when i see that a pinup has asked the PL for votes, posted in the SPOTLIGHT... i will totally follow the links and give my fare vote!

xoxo Soda Shop Sue
Hmm...I would probably trust that process more. It would be good if there were a small panel of judges consisting of the contest holder, a pinup photographer, a clothes designer, etc. to make that final decision. It would also make a pageant hold more weight and prestige.

Seanna (a.k.a. Dixie Diamond!) said:
I just had one more thought on the matter. If the contests somehow narrowed it down to the last, say, five gals after many votes...it would seem more fair if the contest holder was the final judge of who wins. (And this discussion was absolutely in no way posted because of anyone in particular. Just my rambles!)
Great thoughts Haydra. We did it backwards, what we did was judge for initial quality by going thru all the submissions one by one with our quality filters, this included a pro photographer Jason Holmes who is highly capable of distinguishing a great shot from a s*** one. This initial filtering got us down to a few hundred which we let the public loose on, after that we KNEW that the top ones had to be worthy of being in the cal because well, we initially filtered out the ones that weren't up to par if you will..

A great example, if i were running ink and iron...you better believe that every girl in there would be required to have visible ink somewhere on their body, i mean come the f*** on, i can understand that letting girls loose on "OMG VOTE FOR ME" campaigns drives mega traffic to a site, but never ever lose sight of the quality filter. Thats them tho, we will never compromise here at PL.
EXACTLY! That is the response I was waiting for ;)

Haydria Perfumery said:
Hmm...I would probably trust that process more. It would be good if there were a small panel of judges consisting of the contest holder, a pinup photographer, a clothes designer, etc. to make that final decision. It would also make a pageant hold more weight and prestige.

Seanna (a.k.a. Dixie Diamond!) said:
I just had one more thought on the matter. If the contests somehow narrowed it down to the last, say, five gals after many votes...it would seem more fair if the contest holder was the final judge of who wins. (And this discussion was absolutely in no way posted because of anyone in particular. Just my rambles!)
{PL} Daddy Cool said:
A great example, if i were running ink and iron...you better believe that every girl in there would be required to have visible ink somewhere on their body, i mean come the f*** on, i can understand that letting girls loose on "OMG VOTE FOR ME" campaigns drives mega traffic to a site, but never ever lose sight of the quality filter. Thats them tho, we will never compromise here at PL.

I completely agree. Ink-N-Iron is one of the biggest tattoo celebrations around. Yes, the rockabilly/pinup/retro influence is there, but it's called INK n Iron for a reason. At the end of the day, it is all about a celebration of tattoos. I think non-tattooed ladies should step down and let our ink'ed up gals have this one. There are PLENTY of other contests to enter. There are hardly any contests around that strictly target gals with heavy ink (there should be more!) and I think the ones that are should be closed to girls without tattoos.
I hate to sound bitchy, but any girl in that contest without tattoos isn't getting my vote.
Honestly tho the blame here is on the organizers it shows their true intentions aren't to represent the industry, but more to bring traffic to their site. Invite all the inked girls to PL, start a thread about it and start a
Public revolution.

Kristy C said:
{PL} Daddy Cool said:

I completely agree. Ink-N-Iron is one of the biggest tattoo celebrations around. Yes, the rockabilly/pinup/retro influence is there, but it's called INK n Iron for a reason. At the end of the day, it is all about a celebration of tattoos. I think non-tattooed ladies should step down and let our ink'ed up gals have this one. There are PLENTY of other contests to enter. There are hardly any contests around that strictly target gals with heavy ink (there should be more!) and I think the ones that are should be closed to girls without tattoos.
I hate to sound bitchy, but any girl in that contest without tattoos isn't getting my vote.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service