Advertise on PinupLifestyle

How do I get photographers to notice me? WHAT am I doing?

I am admittedly very very very amateur when it comes to all this modeling bizz..and I have no earthly idea what I am doing. Where do I start? What do I need to do to be noticed? How do you get noticed and when do you know you are a "professional model"?? I need to hear the voice of experience...some of you ladies who have made it to the big time! How do I launch my modeling career? Do I pay photographers to work with them, or do they pay me? Do I do it for free? DOES ANYONE HAVE A MARTINI AND A XANAX!?!?!?!...sorry....I got a little panicked.....oops! ;) ~Maggie Puller~

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazingly well put Edson! Maggie, explain to her that you did not know she was going to ask you to pay, and tell her you'll pass on the pictures. The photos aren't good enough to pay for. At this point, judging from the work, neither of you is ready to get payed. As Edson said, that takes years, practice, and experience (or just god given talent if you're really lucky!). Call it a wash and learn from this. Next time you'll be more prepared. Also, remember that every shoot you do, even if the pictures come out horrible and you wouldn't show them to your MOM, is a learning experience. The more you do, the better you get. Like everything else in life, modeling is about learning and growing. And remember, now you have a community of people to help!
@Edson: I got nothin'! I got one digital copy, but that because she put it up on her own facebook page so I copied it! If I want actual prints I have to purchase them on the site. The way she acted, she wanted to practice by shooting me. She approached me and implied that it would be free. She even said she would give me prints, but now says I owe her and I can only buy the prints online.

I should have clarified all that before hand, you are right. I was really just shocked to be asked to begin with! But, with all I have learned on this site, I know MUCH better for next time! <3 thanks for your bluntness Edson...it is very much appreciated. I would much rather have a straight up answer than a sugar coated one!!
Did I mention that the pics were taken in her house and it was only about 15 minutes of taking pictures? Pretty wretched actually....I wasn't impressed. Also, I wanted her to turn the flag around the other way because the star field on the flag should be on the other side of me. But, I felt like I couldn't really say anything cuz she was the "artist". I know better for next time!
Maggie-I live in NY and I cant find anyone who likes this..imagine that...lol

Maggie Puller {★} said:
I just wish I knew more people in my area that are into this kinda' thing. I'm sure they are out there...I just have to hunt them down!!

LOVE your answer Edson! So true..I know a few people in the field..they are wking non stop to make ends meet. One of my closests friends is a Bellydance superstar and she teaches on the side to make extra cash. There is something to be said about the phrase, "starving artist"

Def just practice and learn everything you can. Thats what my plan is...practice makes perfect!:)

Edson Carlos {PL Team} said:

@Maggie, if I told you to come pick this car up so you can run your errands today without knowing you, would you do so and assume its free?

The failure here is in not clarifying details beforehand. You're the aspiring model, she's the aspiring photographer, you both in this case were providing a service that was ASSUMED at no cost. The breakdown is that neither bothered to clarify the terms of providing this service. It looks to me like you took those photos off a computer screen, am I right that she did not even provide digital copies to you?

You mention "In My Hand" are you saying she's provided you digital copies but prints cost money? If so thats standard as prints cost money from someone to produce. Unless your agreement states you'll receive free prints also, expect this to be the norm. There are photogs that only provide web size versions, and some that provide high enough res for you to get your own prints. Like The Trousseau said, If you pay, those photos are yours.

Starting to see how things work? You've got a long way to go doll but welcome to the dance between photographers and models! My blunt tip for ALL entering this world because I hardly beat around the bush...expect years before you can even start to think about wanting to make a few dollars modeling, and never NEVER quit your dayjob to do it. Pinup is an artform, an experience, and even the top names in the industry don't make enough in cash for daily lunch money, let alone a car payment or rent.

I think you got taken, but only a little.  Your time is worth something and if payment was not discussed, doing so afterward is bad form. 

On the other hand, getting one shot from 20 minutes of work is actually a good thing.  Sometimes three hours will produce five nice pictures for someone with high standards-- sometimes it won't produce that much. 

So, lesson learned, you got a picture out of it and now you know to learn your contracts before the next shoot. 

Thanks everyone! My husband likes the pictures I showed him on the photog's website...so I guess its not a total loss!
Well, don't discount the practice factor, either.  You got in front of a camera.  That in itself is a good thing.  And hey, if your husband likes them... all the better!

Since it's going to be no more than a hobby DON'T pay anyone for photos.

If you good enough, someone will pay you.

If you really want photographers to notice you, do semi-nudes or nudes.  There's enough creeps and Guys With Cameras and douche bags and mediocre photographers who will want to shoot with you. 

PS.  There is NO "Pin-UP" industry.

I'm sorry Richard, but the definition of an "Industry" does not include financial milestones so while it may not be at a level of the commercial fashion "industry" it does indeed exist. Where there is commercial sale, production, and demand there is an industry. Magazines are making money, sites are making money, models are making money, photographers are making money, designers are making money, and there are clients for each and every one of those facets.

Also as a photographer yourself who has charged for his services in this "industry" I find it incredibly perplexing that you are recommending people not pay for photos. Is it not backwards that you're recommending someone with little or no experience bypass the opportunity to be pampered by a makeup artist, hair artist, and coached on the set by someone with experience? There are value adds in the typical "pay for" pinup photography model.

I won't go into a looptyloop here because we are a community that values opinions of all angles but I will say that if you're doing it as a hobby, it doesn't hurt AT ALL to pay for photos so you know what you're getting, are receiving your deliverables, and enjoy the benefits the pay photographer may offer such as makeup and hair services, and on the set coaching by someone with more experience.

richardwangphotography said:

If you really want photographers to notice you, do semi-nudes or nudes.  There's enough creeps and Guys With Cameras and douche bags and mediocre photographers who will want to shoot with you. 

I know I have to start at the bottom, so this may be a "hobby" for quite some time. I don't intend it to be a hobby forever though...I'd very much like it to be my career! Also, I don't think I will be doing partial or any other nude photos. I'm interested in doing this...but not desperate.

richardwangphotography said:

oh yes, it is sooo easy to fall in love with Pin up!<3

Maggie Puller {★} said:

Thanks girlz!! All very good answers! I just kinda' fell into this...although I have always loved pin up art and such. I never thought I would be in front of a camera doing it myself! I was approached to do some modeling for pin up and fell in love! Now that I have dipped my toes in the water, I want to dive in! I will check out all the links and books...I can use all the help I can get!! Love to each of you! XOXOXOX ~Maggie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service