Advertise on PinupLifestyle
A bit of hat etiquette that I stumbled upon today:

Hat Etiquette
No other piece of clothing carries such a complicated set of rules involving its wear. Here are some traditional rules for wearing a hat - and some we think are just good manners.

* Any hat should be removed when eating anywhere; that includes baseball caps!
* Any hat should be removed when the national anthem of any country is played. Hold your hat in your right hand, over your heart. This applies to women, unless their hat is held on with hat pins.
* Men tip their hats to ladies when outdoors, remove them when being introduced, and remove them when entering a lady's home. (Men never tipped their hats to other men in the Old West. It was akin to calling them a woman. A nod was a common greeting when not shaking hands.)
* In commercial or public buildings it's not necessary to remove your hat - but should be when entering a private office. Generally considered polite to remove it in a private home, unless other people are wearing their hat.
* Wearing a hat to a theatre or movie is fine but should be removed if it blocks anyone's view of the entertainment.

Views: 503

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did not realize that wearing a hat could be so complicated.  But, it's totally worth it to look this good:

I'll have to share this with all my guy pals. I'll make them tip their hat to me lol.

good info....

There is one exception to the National anthem rule in the U.S. Veterans (and current military members) in civilian attire are allowed to render the military salute instead of removing hat and rendering the civilian salute. Act of Congress of 2008 or -09. 

I agree, more men need to be wearing their hats. My fiance, for example, won me over partially because he is very good about hat manners -- he has a lot of hats and I hardly see him without one, so I try to return the favor by being sure he knows how good he looks in one. His brown fedora is a favorite of mine.

OTOH, I have another friend who wears fedoras...and kind of ruins it, since he doesn't take it off when he should. Maybe Jonny boy needs to give him lessons 8D

I need a new hat.. but the ones I've seen in the shops out here are far from the style I'm looking for.

I want a classy old style fedora, I've yet to find a shop out here in the great wasteland that knows what that actually is.. even when I bring pics

Thanks for the post. Manners have been slipping over the last 40 years. ZZ top says Nothing beats.... a well dressed man". If you add courtesy and manners, you're close to perfect. 1question: Where can I buy fadoras??

Anthony Emmel said:

There is one exception to the National anthem rule in the U.S. Veterans (and current military members) in civilian attire are allowed to render the military salute instead of removing hat and rendering the civilian salute. Act of Congress of 2008 or -09. 

Thanks for that. I have been removing my hat  before rendering the salute, and will continue do do so, out of respect for the friends I have lost. But I am tired of people scoffing at my saluting. God bless our fallen HERO'S.

Yes,  gotta love a man in a nice hat and one that knows/follows the proper etiquette that goes along with it is an even bigger plus! Thanks for posting! 

Excellent post, Wink! I agree. It appears complicated, as this type of etiquette does not seem standard anymore.

Wink,

I started wearing a hat a couple of years ago and always wondered about the do's and don'ts of wearing a hat.

Many thanks for sharing.

Doug Wilson

The Greaser

I learned something interesting today, thanks Wink! ^^

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!