Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I love seeing the difference between how people dress nowadays and how they dressed back in the day. We have the thread about how everyday people dressed, http://www.pinuplifestyle.com/forum/topics/everyday-people-of-the-4..., but this article I found got me thinking about how people dressed when they were going places that we still go today.

I think it's amazing (and kind of sad) that we are going the same places they did, but the way we dress has drastically changed, and most of the time, not for the better.

So post up your then and now shots, and who knows, maybe if people see this thread, it will inspire them to dress a little nicer when they go out.

Views: 5849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hahahahaha XD
can't stop laughing xD

good one

GiGi Von Vroom said:
1950's Biker Babe:

Biker Babe Today?!?! Look, I'm proud of my curves too but this is non-sense!

I agree with all of this! I get asked if I have a job interview — jokingly — because I am often in a sweater and pencil skirt instead of jeans at my casual office. I don't wear heels ALL the time, but when I am not I am in Audrey Hepburn-esque ballet flats. Sneakers are for the gym or for moving furniture, haha.

Red Hot Kitten Designs said:
I don't have any photos to post but this is something that I have actually thought about. It bothers me when I go some place--maybe shopping or lunch--with friends and they want to know why I wear dresses or heels. I like to wear dresses & heels, I feel comfortable that way. My Granny always told me that a lady always puts her best foot forward...and never leaves home w/o her pearls on. I've actually seen adults show up at fine dining 5-star restaurants in jeans or shorts. I find that offensive.
You are like my long lost twin ! I have the same philosophy and I cant stand sneakers outside the gym, for a jog, or while doing yard work. What gets me is the absolute insanity with the flip flops. Cant stand those things. I dont wear heels all the time, I try to but I do wear skirts most of the time and I wear the Audrey ballet flats almost daily. They are so associated with Audrey that my husband says "Oh you are wearing your Hepburns again". Here in San Francisco we have noobs showing up to the OPERA in jeans and T-Shirts it ruins the mood for the rest of us !!

Louise LeMans said:
I agree with all of this! I get asked if I have a job interview — jokingly — because I am often in a sweater and pencil skirt instead of jeans at my casual office. I don't wear heels ALL the time, but when I am not I am in Audrey Hepburn-esque ballet flats. Sneakers are for the gym or for moving furniture, haha.

I don't have any photos to post but this is something that I have actually thought about. It bothers me when I go some place--maybe shopping or lunch--with friends and they want to know why I wear dresses or heels. I like to wear dresses & heels, I feel comfortable that way. My Granny always told me that a lady always puts her best foot forward...and never leaves home w/o her pearls on. I've actually seen adults show up at fine dining 5-star restaurants in jeans or shorts. I find that offensive.
wow..its kind of embaressing now, huh?

Roxy Tart {Madam} said:
How about the airport?

1950's:

Current:

Jeans and t-shirt at the opera? Way to kill the atmosphere. : (

Miss Audrey Brooks said:
You are like my long lost twin ! I have the same philosophy and I cant stand sneakers outside the gym, for a jog, or while doing yard work. What gets me is the absolute insanity with the flip flops. Cant stand those things. I dont wear heels all the time, I try to but I do wear skirts most of the time and I wear the Audrey ballet flats almost daily. They are so associated with Audrey that my husband says "Oh you are wearing your Hepburns again". Here in San Francisco we have noobs showing up to the OPERA in jeans and T-Shirts it ruins the mood for the rest of us !!

Louise LeMans said:

jeans, T-Shirts and often FLIP FLOPS or BIRKENSTOCKS !! Then again what can one expect from San Francisco's Summer of Love REJECTS. Absolutely abhorrent !!

Anita Fixx said:
Jeans and t-shirt at the opera? Way to kill the atmosphere. : (

Miss Audrey Brooks said:

Louise LeMans said:

All flip flops, birkenstocks, and origanal crocs should be burned and never made again. The are hand down the worst footwear every made. I'd rather wear wooden clogs and look like a milk maid then wear flip flops.
YOU ROCK !! I agree with you so much !! The latest fashion vacuum is simply societies embrace of the MEDIOCRITY !! We used to take pride in how we looked and now something has gone terribly wrong ! I look at photos of BREADLINES in the Great Depression and people looked better there than they do at the theater now !

Roxy Tart {Madam} said:
All flip flops, birkenstocks, and origanal crocs should be burned and never made again. The are hand down the worst footwear every made. I'd rather wear wooden clogs and look like a milk maid then wear flip flops.
Agreed! Flip flops need to be BANNED!! Sick of seeing people's digusting toenails and the curd between them. Please..get a bloody pedicure if you NEED to show your feet in public.
Flips flops are horrible for your feet and posture too..I just read an article about it in the local paper. Not that it'll stop people from wearing the horrendous things.. : (

Miss Audrey Brooks said:
YOU ROCK !! I agree with you so much !! The latest fashion vacuum is simply societies embrace of the MEDIOCRITY !! We used to take pride in how we looked and now something has gone terribly wrong ! I look at photos of BREADLINES in the Great Depression and people looked better there than they do at the theater now !

Roxy Tart {Madam} said:
I have to agree 100%. My sister got married yesterday (She was the runaway bride, didnt tell anyone lol) so on Sunday I'm going home to have a special dinner. I've just had an argument with my mother because I want to wear a dress and heels. She was saying but your sister and Julia are all going to be in jeans.
My argument is If I wear jeans, then I will do the 40's land-girl look, I am NOT going out to dinner looking like that! I WILL wear a dress and heels.

I just don't understand how people can look so sloppy these days. I love making the effort.

Casual dining:

Then:

Now:

The movies.

Then:

Now:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle