Advertise on PinupLifestyle
At least two or three times a day, people come up to me on the street and admire my look. They ask me where I get my seam stockings (I should keep some with me and sell them!) Some people ask me if I am on my way to a dance or what the deal is. Yeah, someone at the airport asked me if I was on my way to a swing dance. That was funny!

Do people stop you to talk?

xoStace

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, maybe Denver has more of a scene than I give it credit for... the idea of being stopped for dressing the way I do just blows me away. Nobody around here seems to give it a thought, but you girls all have stories. All I can think of is one time when a woman passing me in an aisle at the store complimented me on my hair flowers. Heck, I certainly look different than all of the other folks at the office, but they gave me the "Best Dressed" award at a department party. :)
Miss Bea Rock said:
i get stopped quite frequently by people mistaking me for either amy winehouse or a suicide girl.

I've been called Amy Winehouse by a group of kids on the street, only problem is I'm blonde with a quiff not a beehive! Sometimes people sing Christina as I walk by or point and laugh. My boyfriend gets called Elvis all the time (he looks nothing like him, just has a quiff), I figure it's the only references people have to relate to and when kids are laughing at your hair, it's looking pretty sweet. Plus we live in a small coastal town in England with a lot of plebs!

LKL x
Ok so I don't know if this counts because it was at a psychobilly show NOT on the street. But at this show last November I was wearing a tight fitting black dress with a zipper all the way through the middle and black stockings covered with skulls and I had my pomp hairstyle as well. I was talking to a band member (I had to for my film) and some dumb b**** says "Ew! Sexy!" after I turn my back. What the hell?! You think you wouldn't get catty comments like that at a local show of all places! (rolls eyes) Whatever I know she won't be at any more shows. There are twats like that (who just attend one show because it's cool or whatever) at every damn show in this town.
I remember at the US Rave, a woman asked me "Why are you dressed that way?" and I explained "Because these are my clothes." She laughed and then asked if there was something of interest happening at the hotel, and I explained what a rockabilly weekender was, but that we always look that way.
Every once in a while, but honestly, there are so many "different" people in the city (as far as tatts, piercings, spiked hair, etc.) that my look is considered pretty normal, even with seamed stockings and my hair done. LOL.

I will say, that if nothing else, my red lipstick will ALWAYS get me noticed before anything else!
I have not been stopped yet, but I approached a client of mine from where I work to say hello, and I had to introduce myself because she had no idea who I was! I am usually in scrubs, hair in a ponytail and wearing glasses when I am at work and seldom get to look "all cutesied up". But when I am not at work, I take the time and do my hair in a Vargas style with a hair flower, and I always wear high heels and red or pink lipstick...

I also get stared at like I have two heads when walking through the mall or out on the street... I live in PA, and here we are about 10 years behind everyone else when it comes to style!

I have been told that I look like Judy Garland or Rita Hayworth, which I find to be a HUGE compliment!
That is funny! One time this woman with a purple mohawk and about 100 piercings said more or less the same thing to me... I was thinking, what kind of world do we live in, when I get jammed up by someone who looks like that telling me I LOOK DIFFERENT!!!!

Kim Bombshell said:
I remember at the US Rave, a woman asked me "Why are you dressed that way?" and I explained "Because these are my clothes." She laughed and then asked if there was something of interest happening at the hotel, and I explained what a rockabilly weekender was, but that we always look that way.
Oh, dont get me wrong! I am not complaining at all. It actually makes my day! One funny thing though, yesterday when I went to LA, the lady who owns Stop Staring kept referring to me as Rockabilly looking. Or Rockabilly dressing. I do not consider my look Rockabilly as far as I know. I try to do 40s. I was under the impression that Rockabilly was a 50s look. But I didnt mind the mix up. Just thought it was interesting that I got pegged in that category...

Sable Sin Cyr said:
Yeah, that's been known to happen. I get a lot of "Are you in a show?" or "Are you in the band?"

I wore seamed stockings to my office Christmas party and a gaggle of ladies were just blown away, pointing and staring and giggling. It was a little bizarre.

And when I'm wearing a hairflower I hear a lot of "Look! She's just like Niecy Nash!".... Ugh.

But, my favorite experience ever happened one day when I was walking my dog in the park. A man stopped his car, parked, got out and came over to talk to me just because he like my outfit. Then he got back in his car and drove off to work. Surreal! He was a nice boost for my ego, he was! ;)

But, honestly, I think we have to expect people to ask us questions and make comments. Our style isn't exactly mainstream, so questions just come with the territory. And, when they ask questions and make comments it's our opportunity to be gracious ambassadors for our pin-up community. :)

Like I am their therapist.

Granted, I am always happy to chat with people on the street, especially if they are just being curious or friendly or what have you. Then there's those people who droll on and on and on about their life as if I actually care. I have had complete strangers talk about their relationships, business and other things you are better off forgetting.

Some of my favorite comments are people who assumed I was off to some party. Apparently I was partying all the time. *haha*

Being a hermit these days keeps safe from social interactions.
I'm doing the hermit thing too! It's great! No rude comments or gestures from random strangers.
No pretending to care about people's lives! It's wonderful everyone should try it! : P
I'm being quite serious...It's nice to just listen to whatever music I want (right now it's Bloodshot Bill) and paint and draw and do whatever the hell else I want without the stupid questions or insults.

Lenore Lovelace said:

Like I am their therapist.

Granted, I am always happy to chat with people on the street, especially if they are just being curious or friendly or what have you. Then there's those people who droll on and on and on about their life as if I actually care. I have had complete strangers talk about their relationships, business and other things you are better off forgetting.

Some of my favorite comments are people who assumed I was off to some party. Apparently I was partying all the time. *haha*

Being a hermit these days keeps safe from social interactions.
Yes when they want to panhandle MONEY ...c
Rockabilly is late 40's early 50's, not to be too technical. A lot of Rockabilly dance music is Jump Blues and was covered by a lot of early Rock N Roll musicians. There is a lot of debate and purists who have a definite opinion on the subject.

Eastbayrose said:
Oh, dont get me wrong! I am not complaining at all. It actually makes my day! One funny thing though, yesterday when I went to LA, the lady who owns Stop Staring kept referring to me as Rockabilly looking. Or Rockabilly dressing. I do not consider my look Rockabilly as far as I know. I try to do 40s. I was under the impression that Rockabilly was a 50s look. But I didnt mind the mix up. Just thought it was interesting that I got pegged in that category...

Sable Sin Cyr said:
Yeah, that's been known to happen. I get a lot of "Are you in a show?" or "Are you in the band?"

I wore seamed stockings to my office Christmas party and a gaggle of ladies were just blown away, pointing and staring and giggling. It was a little bizarre.

And when I'm wearing a hairflower I hear a lot of "Look! She's just like Niecy Nash!".... Ugh.

But, my favorite experience ever happened one day when I was walking my dog in the park. A man stopped his car, parked, got out and came over to talk to me just because he like my outfit. Then he got back in his car and drove off to work. Surreal! He was a nice boost for my ego, he was! ;)

But, honestly, I think we have to expect people to ask us questions and make comments. Our style isn't exactly mainstream, so questions just come with the territory. And, when they ask questions and make comments it's our opportunity to be gracious ambassadors for our pin-up community. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service