Advertise on PinupLifestyle
Alright, i got one for you.. I'm trying to narrow down my extensive ideas list and prototypes for my catalog.. and i need advice. I though, who better to ask then the pinups who will *hopefully* be wearing them??.. right?? Ok.. so the things im interested in knowing are:

Material.. is slinky(forgiving), satin, polyester-ish, knit cotton (think t shirts) or stiff(not so forgiving) cotton better for a dress, skirt or top? i dont care how you word it, just let me know what your opinion is!! :)

Style... is it better to be a strict reproduction.. or a repro with some modifications for modern wear and style? (think lower necklines, shorter hems, cute trims..etc)

This would help me out IMMENSELY!! and i wont forget your kindness!!

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My personal preference is for clothing that respects traditional lines, but made of modern fabrics with a little stretch for comfort. Man oh man, are there some beautiful details on true vintage pieces! I like a firmer fabric on wiggle skirts/dresses, where the clothing is so snug and I want it to smooth my curves. Without seeing what you have in mind to create, it's hard to pick a fabric. The two go hand-in-hand. A bias-cut Jean Harlow style dress would look awfully weird in cotton knit, but a heavyweight satin t-shirt would be equally odd. :)

I love dresses, but there are a lot of options already out there. Skirts are easy enough for me to sew, since I usually have to alter anything I buy off the rack anyway (abnormal waist/hip ratio). Harder to come by are affordable pants, capris, and shorts that work with my style. Help us out!
thank you.. yeah i have similar preferences to you.. i love my dresses to be a little less forgiving to hold it all in.. but a nice stretchy skirt is nice... but i also cant stand a shirt that is tooo stretchy, and gets frumpy or mishapen.. i dont know.. im glad im not WAY off here!!!
i kind of have a bit of everything.. its just hard when your only critic is your boyfriend.. and all he can tell me is that I look hot in it.. but that doesnt help me!!! I have a couple capri/short patterns im messing with.. ill keep them in mind!!
alright.. who else!? haha
so i like the idea of sticking traditionaly to the look and line of the classic clothing, with modern twists. i think there is a great middle ground for , like you said lowering necklines, hems.. and spicing them up a bit with the materials and colors. i like my dresses comforably clingy and my shirts to be durable and able to be washed and dryed myself and ironed at home so the collar, if there is one can be crisp if i want to wear it up like a bad ass1 haa. i hope i helped.
What I find, is cotton is best for dresses, but one thing that is important is smocking along the sides towards the back. That helps the dress fit people who are different sizes wear the same size bodice. I have dresses that I can wear when I gain or lose up to 20 pounds because of the smocking.

Also, for larger sizes, a circle skirt without gathering at the waste is most flattering and most flexible, if made in cotton.

A blend with lycra is best for a wiggle style dress.

Depending on who you are marketing to, will depend if you want strict repro or repro with modifications. There are some women who like a strict repro that makes it hard to determine that it is a repro rather than vintage. Some women like the modern fit of things like a natural waste over a high waste. It is wise to possibly offer both styles like Mode Merr does on it's "perfect skirts."

There are some very sexy vintage styles, like what shaheen designed where there is firm support of the bust creating cleavage. No matter what, I think modern girls want to show off cleavage!
Agreed on the cleavage issue!! I absolutely love your take on smocking!!! What a great solution! I have such great ideas, and just from your responses, i was able to pick out a few items.. SO MUCH HELP!!

Kim Bombshell said:
What I find, is cotton is best for dresses, but one thing that is important is smocking along the sides towards the back. That helps the dress fit people who are different sizes wear the same size bodice. I have dresses that I can wear when I gain or lose up to 20 pounds because of the smocking.

Also, for larger sizes, a circle skirt without gathering at the waste is most flattering and most flexible, if made in cotton.

A blend with lycra is best for a wiggle style dress.

Depending on who you are marketing to, will depend if you want strict repro or repro with modifications. There are some women who like a strict repro that makes it hard to determine that it is a repro rather than vintage. Some women like the modern fit of things like a natural waste over a high waste. It is wise to possibly offer both styles like Mode Merr does on it's "perfect skirts."

There are some very sexy vintage styles, like what shaheen designed where there is firm support of the bust creating cleavage. No matter what, I think modern girls want to show off cleavage!
YES!! so helpful! thank you! OOOO Im getting excited!!! This process is so much fun!!

Delyssia LaBelle said:
so i like the idea of sticking traditionaly to the look and line of the classic clothing, with modern twists. i think there is a great middle ground for , like you said lowering necklines, hems.. and spicing them up a bit with the materials and colors. i like my dresses comforably clingy and my shirts to be durable and able to be washed and dryed myself and ironed at home so the collar, if there is one can be crisp if i want to wear it up like a bad ass1 haa. i hope i helped.
I also would like to add doing more retro pieces in more modern colors and fabric styles is so much fun!
I am in love with these overalls, pretty please and thank you. ;)
I love these too!!! I tried to win this pattern on Ebay a few months ago!! It apparently, to my surprise, it was worth more than 20 dollars!! I might buy it from the link you provided!! Whoo!

Wink Holliday said:
I am in love with these overalls, pretty please and thank you. ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service