Advertise on PinupLifestyle
The design and implementation is so incredible in this home, I LOVE every little detail!

How do you feel about Steampunk?

http://steampunkworkshop.com/visit-steampunked-home

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steampunk is, ummm, neat. I guess thats the right word for it. You have to admire the attention to detail and the ability to meld old and new in interesting ways. There's, apparently, a big steampunk movement in the area. I haven't had much involvement given I'm just boring old regular punk.

Steampunk Arcade Game
OMG..okay I LOVE steampunk! hahaha...Did you ever see the steampunk laptop? You gotta check out boingboing.net if you don't already know about it. It's filled with a lot of nerdy stuff and they often feature steampunk stuff too. But uh, you didn't hear that from me..haha..I told you I used to be a geek right?
Don't worry Aubrey your secret is safe with me. Us geeks gotta stick together.
That is one piece of amazing steam-punkery! I adore steampunk! The detail, the outfits! I once made myself a full length leather ruffled duster for a steampunk party, I felt SOOOOO cool wearing it! Anything that involves fantasy, corsetry, costuming, brass/shiny things is RIGHT up my ally! And Aubrey...it's cool, Geeks are where it's at! My husband and I are HUGE Geeks!
I <3 steampunk. It's a really big deal at the anime conventions in town these days, although I'm not into it for the fantasy side of things. I just love the intricacy and detailing that go into making something new look like it came from a completely different era, yet making it look crazy and sci-fi at the same time. I'm really into aetheric machines, so to see some of that concept going into most of what steampunk is, is really nice to see. A guy named Warren Ellis put out a graphic novel/comic book called Aetheric Mechanics. It's a good read for all you 'punk nerds out there. =0p
I bought these Sleepy Hollow inspired steampunked goggles off of Etsy a while back. Those exact ones, actually, which is why the page reads "sold" lol. The seller that I purchased them from has some pretty rad steampunk stuff. He's always posting new creations. ;0D
I'm all about baroque these days, though, hence the awesome purple wallpaper on my profile that you love so much, Edson. =0]
From Wikipedia: Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction and speculative fiction, that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes fictional works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used — usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era Britain — but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, often featuring futuristic technology as the people of this historical period would have envisioned it to look like, i.e. based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include fictional machines like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer, but occurring at an earlier date.

To me, Steampunk is a fantastic SciFi sub genre that takes place in a world where steam power kept the worlds interest, instead of internal combustion. Because steam requires such elaborate devices, you get these AMAZING works of fantasy machinery that have tubes, cogs, gears and wires! Steampunk doesn't take place in "this time", but is seen more as an alternate timeline....the "path not traveled"....this is what our world would look like without the industrial revolution (at least that's the romantic idea!) So ideally, Steampunk takes place in the early - mid 19th century. It's all adventure, danger, and Elegance! What's not to love about that?? Elaborate hidden gun mechanism in your garters? Yes Please! There's TONS of great steampunk literature out there, all of them fantastic adventure and mystery novels! I just got done reading Boneshaker by Cheri Priest:

You can also check out the movie Wild Wild West with Will Smith. It's goofy, not a very good representation, but it's got some great "steampunkery" in there. :D It's a good idea of a jumping off point. Made different mainly by the fact that it takes place in the U.S.A.'s West...and not Victorian Britain. :) But you get the idea!

Alice Cat said:
That looks really cool!
Can anyone give a proper description of Steampunk to me? I have an idea and it's been explained to me but I think you guys could do a better job of telling me what it's all about, I'm a little clueless
This is beyond amazing. I am a huge steampunk fan - it's like a whole different, creative world. I totally dig it!
my favorite designer did some really cool steampunk pieces..
Bibian Blue

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/59/l_8b1438ba6ad94376a8...
Aubrey here's something for your Chirstmas list. Steampunk and geeky.

Aaron Adding Machines

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service