Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I have been boggled forever on how to do this certain hairstyle (see pictures attached) i've seen very rarely done. I'm usually pretty good at picking up on instructions or figuring out how to create a look myself, but this one has me befuddled. I don't even know what it would be called or if it has a name... Please if any of you coiffure wizards could lend some tips and direction i would greatly appreciate it!<3

Views: 94

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As bad as I am at hair in general, this is one of the styles I have actually managed to master. I always see alot of people asking about it, and one of these days I am gonna make a YouTube tutorial so stay tuned.

There are two ways to wear that style, the one in the pic with the hair down in the back, and also with all your hair pulled forward so it's sweeped off the neck, just like the girl in Blade Runner. The Dita way is easier but I think the other way looks much cooler, and more unique.
Bangs are tricky! I have not that long bang to do the curl-it-up-bang you are talking about, but I just use a hair-straightner and hairspray. Works for me and its done in 2 seconds. The only thing that have to be perfect from the start is that the bang is cut horisontaly from the beginning. I once tried to tell my hairdresser how to "curl it" with the hairstraigtner, and they had to be 3 people to understand - after I showed them! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5joFUpwDbZc

Heres a really good tutorial on it mainly based on Sally Jupiters hairstyle from Watchmen.
Ms Cherry Garcia here on PL has this hairdo perfected! It can also be found in the book Vintage Hairstyling: http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Hairstyling-Step-Step-Techniques/dp/0... Right on the cover! They call it the happy pomp XD It's a great book btw.

This 'do is basically a victory roll on each side, and then rolling the front up over a hair rat backwards (like was mentioned earlier in the thread), and lining the two rolls up to each other.
Have any of you seen Fleur de Guerre's tutorial? Before seeing the vid, I had been struggling with this style on my own, but she makes it so easy-peasy!

The hair rat thing she uses is a mesh chignon filler--they're like $3 at Sally!

Her blog is quite nice also Diary of a Vintage Girl.
LOVE this, so easy! Way better and more stable than back-combing!

Caitlin Moneypenny-Johnston said:
Have any of you seen Fleur de Guerre's tutorial? Before seeing the vid, I had been struggling with this style on my own, but she makes it so easy-peasy!

The hair rat thing she uses is a mesh chignon filler--they're like $3 at Sally!

Her blog is quite nice also Diary of a Vintage Girl.
It's called a pompadour. There's a book called Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells. It's the second edition. This style says it can be done on long or short hair. The "bangs" are acquired by taking hair from the front middle (as if you were going cut bettie bangs) and held by a hair tie. You then curl the bang piece and tuck it under. After that, curl pieces on the sides and pin under. It's better explained in the book. I purchased my book from mybabyjo.com but you could probably find it on ebay as well. I hope this helps.
I don't know if these videos help, but here are a few additional videos from youtube that teach you how to style the pompadour type bangs...you can alter the look by where you place the roll, how much hair you roll, whether you roll it forward or back, etc. I agree that Dita probably has a hair rat somewhere in there. Some women do the traditional hair rat, which is hair from your own hair brush in a nylon stocking. I went to Sally's and picked up a mesh chignon and cut it so the loop became a long tube. I use this for my gibson roll in back. I learned that trick from Lisa Freemont Street!

These two gals, Lisa Freemont Street and StrawberryKoiVintage are two of my favorite gurus on youtube.

Found this while I was browsing the internet...hope it helps.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.queensofvintage.c...
It's called a Gibson Roll...it's basically a reverse victory roll, you can use ratted faux hair in the shape of a snake, roll it under, then pin it back. Using some kind of filler is really the only way to get that nice sleek shape.

I used to fake my bangs and short hair all the time using that method. Pretty sure if you google Gibson Roll or Gibson Hair you'll be able to find something. :) Good luck!
I LOVE the Gibson roll! I have a hair rat that I use. Again, Lisa Freemont Street has a great Gibson roll tutorial. I still have trouble blending in the sides of my hair with the rolled section, but I'm working on it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service