Advertise on PinupLifestyle
Hello,

So I am new to burlesque and my first performance will be in December. I am so excited, but also really nervous!

Any advice on how to make my number extra-special or what not to do? Also, how do you settle your nerves before performing?

Thanks!

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do a couple shots before you go on stage. Whisky is best! Good luck!
Oddly enough Roxi i'm sure that works wonders!
Hey Cutie! I'm excited for you. Where are you performing! My first show I brought a pen and paper and I doodled until it was time to go on. Not quite as cool as Roxi Slugging back the Whiskey but it helped me focus on something other then my nerves. Plus I really love to draw and it's the only thing other then Dancing that requires my undivided attention. Some girls bring thier Ipods and run Choreography in thier heads. If you are doing a show with other performers use that time to get to know some of the other girls. It'll take the edge off and you'll make some comrades in arms. After you've performed you'll feel like you could do just about anything it's a great high. Let us know how it goes!!
Thanks so much for all of the good advice! We are performing at a bar called Madam's Organ. It's our Burlesque University graduation. I am hoping it all works out well, cause I am already obsessed!
HAHA THAT BAR NAME! I LOVE IT!

Anna Sthesia said:
Thanks so much for all of the good advice! We are performing at a bar called Madam's Organ. It's our Burlesque University graduation. I am hoping it all works out well, cause I am already obsessed!
It's in a place called Adam's Morgan and is a cute bar, but not something I'd expect a burlesque show at.
I think the best way to settle any nerves is to pre-empt the vast majority of things that could go wrong.

More than anything, have your performance practiced to the last step. It's fine to take your act in a different direction once you're up there and you have a feel for the audience but if the nerves get the better of you, at least your body can run on autopilot.

Make sure you have 2 copies of your music (preferably 2 on CD and perhaps another on mp3 just incase), and always ask whoever's doing your sound to do a full run-through of your song. Just last month I was compere-ing a burlesque night where one unfortune performer's music cut out half way through and the audience were finally coaxed into humming the rest of the tune. It doesn't bode well.

Know exactly where you are in the line-up ASAP and that you've discussed your introduction with the night's compere before the show starts. Let's face it, if you know where you are, that your music's fine and that you know your routine like the back of your hand, you're going to feel ALOT more confident and can concentrate on putting on a really great show.

Also, I agree with Mimi; talking to other performers is a great way of settling your nerves. Also, a great way to observe professional backstage behaviour which always helps for the future. Plus, at least in the UK, networking really is the best way to get performance experience.

Hope that was of use.

Best of luck, sugar cube!

xx CL
The best way I settle my nerves is getting completely ready as quickly as I can so I know I won't get caught half dressed when I shoudl be on stage. Before my first show I was definately running my choreo as much as I coudl backstage and talking to the ladies backstage. It really helped knowing everyone else was in the same boat as me and everyone is usually very supportive.

I think being confident in yourself and your sexiest is the best thing you can do during your number. And they doesn't require any practice at all. If you can manage the nerves being able to give great face to your audience definately improves the show for me when I'm a spectator. The main thing I will say not to do, and it took me forever to break this habit, is don't look at the floor or get down on yourself when something doesn't go exactly as planned. I'm still working on that second bit. But I've found if you just keep smiling and moving they will love. And as a last resort you can always grab your boobs! ;)

Best of luck to you. I'm sure it will be great.
Thanks so much for the good advice! I never even thought about the music issue.

Take Care!

Cherry Loco said:
I think the best way to settle any nerves is to pre-empt the vast majority of things that could go wrong.

More than anything, have your performance practiced to the last step. It's fine to take your act in a different direction once you're up there and you have a feel for the audience but if the nerves get the better of you, at least your body can run on autopilot.

Make sure you have 2 copies of your music (preferably 2 on CD and perhaps another on mp3 just incase), and always ask whoever's doing your sound to do a full run-through of your song. Just last month I was compere-ing a burlesque night where one unfortune performer's music cut out half way through and the audience were finally coaxed into humming the rest of the tune. It doesn't bode well.

Know exactly where you are in the line-up ASAP and that you've discussed your introduction with the night's compere before the show starts. Let's face it, if you know where you are, that your music's fine and that you know your routine like the back of your hand, you're going to feel ALOT more confident and can concentrate on putting on a really great show.

Also, I agree with Mimi; talking to other performers is a great way of settling your nerves. Also, a great way to observe professional backstage behaviour which always helps for the future. Plus, at least in the UK, networking really is the best way to get performance experience.

Hope that was of use.

Best of luck, sugar cube!

xx CL
Great advice, thanks!

Cherokee Rose said:
The best way I settle my nerves is getting completely ready as quickly as I can so I know I won't get caught half dressed when I shoudl be on stage. Before my first show I was definately running my choreo as much as I coudl backstage and talking to the ladies backstage. It really helped knowing everyone else was in the same boat as me and everyone is usually very supportive.

I think being confident in yourself and your sexiest is the best thing you can do during your number. And they doesn't require any practice at all. If you can manage the nerves being able to give great face to your audience definately improves the show for me when I'm a spectator. The main thing I will say not to do, and it took me forever to break this habit, is don't look at the floor or get down on yourself when something doesn't go exactly as planned. I'm still working on that second bit. But I've found if you just keep smiling and moving they will love. And as a last resort you can always grab your boobs! ;)

Best of luck to you. I'm sure it will be great.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service