Advertise on PinupLifestyle
I love Rockabilly and Psychobilly music. I go to a lot of shows. I book and promote shows at a few local clubs and am in a social club that puts on a huge car show and music event once a year. My pet Peeve is rarely do I see Pin Ups supporting shows! Bernie Dexter is an exception. She loves the Rockin' Scene, and will dance all night at weekenders, but most of the others don't show up unless they are making an appearance.

It bothers me to see people using the music and lifestyle, without supporting it.

All you "Pin-ups" who sport the vintage look, get your butts out there and support the music!!!! The Music is the reason you are able to have this "pin-up" lifestyle!!!!!

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

are they on myspace? I love to find new rockin' music I haven't heard before!

Samantha Valentine said:
I love love love going to live shows and listening to music. I will always support local bands and you don't need to get me anywhere to make an "appearance."
Check out my locals:
Raygun Cowboys
Pete Turland
Nightstalkers
Jukebox Shock
XoXoX
p.s I just came in to edit..... the links are not working, boo!!
but if you don't actually like the music why would you go to the show? i love live music and can sit through almost anything and more importantly, dance to it... but not everyone is like that. i wear clothes that make me look like a metalhead but when i go see metal bands live i literally get headaches.

i know that the look and the lifestyle have stemmed from the revival of the music but at this point it's almost become seperate.
i don't think it's fair to condemn the people that can walk the walk but can't rock the rock. they're not talking advantage of these musicians. they're not benfiting specifically from anyone in particular and turning their backs on them. like daddy cool there are plenty of pin up fans who don't care for rockabilly at all, the look is what's important to them. I'm sure that any pin up girls that don't go to the shows appreciate the way that the music has paved but I don't think it's necessary to go to every show if it's really not your scene. That seems more like faking it than keeping it real.

Kim Bombshell said:
Just for the record, I like many types of music. I attended a Streetdogs show last week, and they are far from Rockabilly.

The whole modern pin-up phenomenon is a result of the mid 90s swing, rockabilly, and custom car subcultures becoming more popular. You would not have this pin-up lifestyle (left the quotes off!) without the music. That is what my pet peeve is...what I see as an exploitation of a subculture that I love. I know pin-up does not equal Rockabilly, and vice-versa. Without Rockabilly, Viva Las Vegas weekenders(and other popular weekenders), the custom car scene, how popular do you think pin-up style photography and modeling would be? Where would people view this art form and where would it have come from? For over 30 years this was not the style of dress, photography, hair, etc. The music is what spawned it, and the internet has broadened the audience for it.

All I ask is that all of you models who are marketing and benefiting from the rockabilly and psychobilly music scenes, give back by attending shows where you aren't booked for an appearance, and explore the subculture. Learn to dance, and appreciate how fun the subculture is. It really is a lifestyle and not just an image.
Miss Paige said:
but pin ups aren't necessarily part of the rockabilly subculture. i know plenty of pin ups who's knowledge of rockabilly goes no where past knowing a few elvis tunes. although pin up and rockabilly/psychobilly overlap a great deal being a rockabilly fan does not a pin up make and vice versa. i'm a huge fan of pin up photography and although i do like rockabilly/psychobilly it's not my favorite genre. my favorite bands are the beatles, led zeppelin, joni mitchell, bob dylan... pin up music? i don't think so. and if there were a rockabilly show the same night as a more classic rock style band i would probably attend the latter.
musically based subcultures are a difficult thing to fit into sometimes because even though the style, and lifestyle in general can attract you, sometimes the music does not - such is the case with daddy cool. i love a lot of very gothic and metal based styles, but i detest metal music (aside from danzig. genius!) and most of the people that fit into the "goth" subculture. i may wear black and like skulls but i don't like marilyn manson and when someone bites me i'm going to yelp.

a look is simply that, a look. although certain looks have become associated with certain types of music or movies or other pop culture items they aren't necessarily in bed together.

Kim Bombshell said:
Daddy Cool said:
I'll reply to this because as a fan I think it applies to me. I have always been a fan of the style. Unfortunately my career doesn't allow for the individuality the lifestyle enjoys. Does this bother me? Nope. I'm just fine as a technoyuppie who gets all snazzy every morning to goto work with his laptop strapped to his back. This shows I don't claim to live it, thus I'm not a wannabe and would hate to see "fans" put in quotes like you did Pinups.

I'm a club Dj, I spin house music, far far from rockabilly and the typical genre that members of this lifestyle enjoy, I live eat and breathe house music but I greatly enjoy all genres (except country). Does this make me less of a fan? nope, BUT I can't say you'd catch me at a show because I'd be the guy wearing nice black italian leather shoes with a parted hairstyle. Not exactly the type of guy who'd be rockin tats up my arm (which I love!) Thank goodness for Dee loving rock because with her beside me my tolerance for the music is now than normal. Models are just that, models. They are meant to be versitile, if they have the look and the ability to play a role and capture an era they should go for it, and paired with the right photographer, they can achieve it for all of us to enjoy. I personally don't feel they should be considered anything less if they don't enjoy one part of the lifestyle, or don't participate actively. Much like people and politics, you don't have to necessarily like every view your candidate has to belong to the party.

I know that lots of people never knew where to find all their local events because a central hub for the lifestyle did not exist, that has now changed and many many people here are finding some incredible events and people in their areas already. Kim, I'd love if you could add these local events to the Events area of the site so that Dee and I could attend and participate a bit more! We're in east bay and would love to meet up sometime.

Perhaps what set off my thought process was the fact that Pinups was put in quotes, thus in "internet speak" sarcastically stating the term. But don't mind my dos centavos, I'm just a huge fan that drives a classic car daily and doesn't really fit the mold but gave everyone a place to call home on the internet. ;)

You live in the east bay? You MUST attend some shows at the Uptown in Oakland!!!! Every Monday is burles
I'll need to see a photo! I have a sneaky suspicion that you do not look like your avatar ;)

I only occasionally attend Monday's Burlesque night at the Uptown, but Nov 21, Big Sandy is playing and if you want to see people really dressed up, and lots of vintage, come on out!

Daddy Cool said:
RE: Oakland Show: Word! Consider Dee & I there! Thx for your insight in your last post, I more fully understand where you're coming from and your last paragraph was well worded to suit your point. I really look forward to meeting you and talking and exploring more! ! We don't know anyone in the area yet so when you see 2 cool peeps kickin it not talking to anyone stop by and say hi ;P
You don't have a love of the rockabilly subculture, music, lifestyle like I do. You don't have the perspective I do, regarding this issue. I am not a solitary voice when I started this thread. It is a complaint many people who have been dressing like this, going to car shows, owning custom cars, dancing at shows, for decades share. Like I said in the first post, I have respect for pin-ups like Bernie, who do attend events, have fun with it and also make a living promoting this great lifestyle.

I will stand on my opinion that it only hurts BOTH subcultures (rockabilly and pin-up) to not support the Rockabilly music scene when you are a pin-up. After the fad from the internet wears off, who do you think will be the fans, and want to view this art form? ROCKABILLY MUSIC FANS who are committed to a lifestyle.

Miss Paige said:
but if you don't actually like the music why would you go to the show? i love live music and can sit through almost anything and more importantly, dance to it... but not everyone is like that. i wear clothes that make me look like a metalhead but when i go see metal bands live i literally get headaches.

i know that the look and the lifestyle have stemmed from the revival of the music but at this point it's almost become seperate.
i don't think it's fair to condemn the people that can walk the walk but can't rock the rock. they're not talking advantage of these musicians. they're not benfiting specifically from anyone in particular and turning their backs on them. like daddy cool there are plenty of pin up fans who don't care for rockabilly at all, the look is what's important to them. I'm sure that any pin up girls that don't go to the shows appreciate the way that the music has paved but I don't think it's necessary to go to every show if it's really not your scene. That seems more like faking it than keeping it real.

Kim Bombshell said:
Just for the record, I like many types of music. I attended a Streetdogs show last week, and they are far from Rockabilly.

The whole modern pin-up phenomenon is a result of the mid 90s swing, rockabilly, and custom car subcultures becoming more popular. You would not have this pin-up lifestyle (left the quotes off!) without the music. That is what my pet peeve is...what I see as an exploitation of a subculture that I love. I know pin-up does not equal Rockabilly, and vice-versa. Without Rockabilly, Viva Las Vegas weekenders(and other popular weekenders), the custom car scene, how popular do you think pin-up style photography and modeling would be? Where would people view this art form and where would it have come from? For over 30 years this was not the style of dress, photography, hair, etc. The music is what spawned it, and the internet has broadened the audience for it.

All I ask is that all of you models who are marketing and benefiting from the rockabilly and psychobilly music scenes, give back by attending shows where you aren't booked for an appearance, and explore the subculture. Learn to dance, and appreciate how fun the subculture is. It really is a lifestyle and not just an image.
Miss Paige said:
but pin ups aren't necessarily part of the rockabilly subculture. i know plenty of pin ups who's knowledge of rockabilly goes no where past knowing a few elvis tunes. although pin up and rockabilly/psychobilly overlap a great deal being a rockabilly fan does not a pin up make and vice versa. i'm a huge fan of pin up photography and although i do like rockabilly/psychobilly it's not my favorite genre. my favorite bands are the beatles, led zeppelin, joni mitchell, bob dylan... pin up music? i don't think so. and if there were a rockabilly show the same night as a more classic rock style band i would probably attend the latter.
musically based subcultures are a difficult thing to fit into sometimes because even though the style, and lifestyle in general can attract you, sometimes the music does not - such is the case with daddy cool. i love a lot of very gothic and metal based styles, but i detest metal music (aside from danzig. genius!) and most of the people that fit into the "goth" subculture. i may wear black and like skulls but i don't like marilyn manson and when someone bites me i'm going to yelp.

a look is simply that, a look. although certain looks have become associated with certain types of music or movies or other pop culture items they aren't necessarily in bed together.

Kim Bombshell said:
Daddy Cool said:
I'll reply to this because as a fan I think it applies to me. I have always been a fan of the style. Unfortunately my career doesn't allow for the individuality the lifestyle enjoys. Does this bother me? Nope. I'm just fine as a technoyuppie who gets all snazzy every morning to goto work with his laptop strapped to his back. This shows I don't claim to live it, thus I'm not a wannabe and would hate to see "fans" put in quotes like you did Pinups.

I'm a club Dj, I spin house music, far far from rockabilly and the typical genre that members of this lifestyle enjoy, I live eat and breathe house music but I greatly enjoy all genres (except country). Does this make me less of a fan? nope, BUT I can't say you'd catch me at a show because I'd be the guy wearing nice black italian leather shoes with a parted hairstyle. Not exactly the type of guy who'd be rockin tats up my arm (which I love!) Thank goodness for Dee loving rock because with her beside me my tolerance for the music is now than normal. Models are just that, models. They are meant to be versitile, if they have the look and the ability to play a role and capture an era they should go for it, and paired with the right photographer, they can achieve it for all of us to enjoy. I personally don't feel they should be considered anything less if they don't enjoy one part of the lifestyle, or don't participate actively. Much like people and politics, you don't have to necessarily like every view your candidate has to belong to the party.

I know that lots of people never knew where to find all their local events because a central hub for the lifestyle did not exist, that has now changed and many many people here are finding some incredible events and people in their areas already. Kim, I'd love if you could add these local events to the Events area of the site so that Dee and I could attend and participate a bit more! We're in east bay and would love to meet up sometime.

Perhaps what set off my thought process was the fact that Pinups was put in quotes, thus in "internet speak" sarcastically stating the term. But don't mind my dos centavos, I'm just a huge fan that drives a classic car daily and doesn't really fit the mold but gave everyone a place to call home on the internet. ;)

You live in the east bay? You MUST attend some shows at the Uptown in Oakland!!!! Every Monday is burles
The Blank Club in San Jose and the Uptown in Oakland. I do only their rockabilly and psychobilly shows. I am also in a social club the Bombshells (est. 1998) that hosts a large event "Booze Broads and Hotrods" every year in or around San Francisco. In 2007 I was producing and promoting my own shows at a local bar (did shows with the Go Getters, Chop Tops, Arsen Roulette, and Moonlight Cruisers) but it is a lot of work doing it all myself!

Nicole Katherine Designs said:
What clubs and events do you do promoting?
Kim, Check my profile to see my ride, think I should show it??? Is there a registration fee?

Kim Bombshell said:
The Blank Club in San Jose and the Uptown in Oakland. I do only their rockabilly and psychobilly shows. I am also in a social club the Bombshells (est. 1998) that hosts a large event "Booze Broads and Hotrods" every year in or around San Francisco. In 2007 I was producing and promoting my own shows at a local bar (did shows with the Go Getters, Chop Tops, Arsen Roulette, and Moonlight Cruisers) but it is a lot of work doing it all myself!

Daddy Cool made a good reply...i absolutely love classic Hollywood glamour, there is nothing more beautiful to me, I love to make my hair look fancy and dress "pin up esque" because agggainn..there is nothing more classy looking. BUT I don't listen to rockabilly music, I like it, but it's not my deal.. I love music from hardcore punk to sinatra.. TO ME I definitely don't think that makes me a poser for loving the pin up style, just saying!
read my last post on the subject. It's about giving back to the genre that is responsible for what you enjoy, because when the trend is over, they will still be there and still appreciate the pin-up art form.

Natalie said:
Daddy Cool made a good reply...i absolutely love classic Hollywood glamour, there is nothing more beautiful to me, I love to make my hair look fancy and dress "pin up esque" because agggainn..there is nothing more classy looking. BUT I don't listen to rockabilly music, I like it, but it's not my deal.. I love music from hardcore punk to sinatra.. TO ME I definitely don't think that makes me a poser for loving the pin up style, just saying!
Booze Broads and Hotrods isn't until April 2009, and there will not be a registration fee. In fact, you get half off the admission price to the event if you bring your pre-65 custom or classic car.

Daddy Cool said:
Kim, Check my profile to see my ride, think I should show it??? Is there a registration fee?

Kim Bombshell said:

I didn't say I don't respect the music, I just said that I have a different taste in tunes and those are the shows i like to attend, everyones got their own opinion- i read you went to a streetdogs show, hell yes.

Kim Bombshell said:
read my last post on the subject. It's about giving back to the genre that is responsible for what you enjoy, because when the trend is over, they will still be there and still appreciate the pin-up art form.

Natalie said:
Having respect for the music is not the same as supporting the music. I suppose it's hard for me to grasp not wanting to participate in the rockabilly/psychobilly scene, when a person dresses, and does their hair like the people who do participate.

As for Streetdogs....I try never to miss a show since I first saw them open for Tiger Army in 2004.

Natalie said:
I didn't say I don't respect the music, I just said that I have a different taste in tunes and those are the shows i like to attend, everyones got their own opinion- i read you went to a streetdogs show, hell yes.

Kim Bombshell said:

Natalie said:
Yeah, were clearly on a different level haha, I also didn't say I do my hair fancy every day and dress pin up esque every day, I love the old Hollywood glamour but don't listen to rockabilly..what can i say! & thats awesome about streetdogs they are so fun =)

Kim Bombshell said:
Having respect for the music is not the same as supporting the music. I suppose it's hard for me to grasp not wanting to participate in the rockabilly/psychobilly scene, when a person dresses, and does their hair like the people who do participate.

As for Streetdogs....I try never to miss a show since I first saw them open for Tiger Army in 2004.

Natalie said:

Kim Bombshell said:

Natalie said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service