Advertise on PinupLifestyle
Any bass players around here that have tackled this giant instrument?
I'm just starting to get into the bass guitar and I was wondering if you started with a regular bass and moved up or started with the upright and how different it is.
How much did you buy your bass for?
How long have you been playing?
And if you have any pics i'd love to see them ;)

Views: 44

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome that you are learning! I have always wanted to learn how to play - such a cool instrument!
You'll have to keep is updated!

xoxo!

P.S. The Horrorpops rock!
Hi, this is Johnny from the Whistlin' Skulls. I am currently playing guitar, but love to pick up the bass. I started off on electric when I was but a wee lad. I think in a way it helped because it's easier to find the notes on a fretted bass whereas the upright is fretless. To me the most difficult part was getting my ear to pick up where the notes were. Get that down first, then hone up yer slappin' skills!

Cheers,
Johnny D.
Attachments:
What type of music will you be playing on the upright?
whatever feels right. i like stuff from almost every genre out there, so it will probably be a mesh of all sorts of things. i really enjoyed playing old country tunes on the guitar (and some creedence, which is style kind fo country) so i'd probably start with that.

Kim Bombshell said:
snap i got cut off here. haha. i really do want to play some rockabilly/psychobilly stuff eventually. i just don't think i'll be able to move that fast right away ahaha.
i basically want to be a fatter, more canadian Patricia Day

Miss Paige said:
whatever feels right. i like stuff from almost every genre out there, so it will probably be a mesh of all sorts of things. i really enjoyed playing old country tunes on the guitar (and some creedence, which is style kind fo country) so i'd probably start with that.

Kim Bombshell said:
That made me giggle...

Try listening to some rockabilly or neo-Rockabilly...it's not as fast as psychobilly and probably easier to follow.

Miss Paige said:
snap i got cut off here. haha. i really do want to play some rockabilly/psychobilly stuff eventually. i just don't think i'll be able to move that fast right away ahaha.
i basically want to be a fatter, more canadian Patricia Day

Miss Paige said:

Kim Bombshell said:
i have a friend who plays upright, and one night he got drunk(oops) and wore a h*** in his finger from playing so hard!
Just like Imelda May's song "Johnny got a Boom Boom" where she says "swear it was a woman, that he had in his grip" http://massimousai.blog.espresso.repubblica.it/massimousaimusic/200...

Pin-ups Hair Design Inc. said:
Upright bass is a completely different instrument. Different feel and different technique. I know and have played with many upright players that started on upright and have never played a traditional electric bass. Playing the upright is a very physical thing. You have to get up on it. Play her like you her (or him?) Watch, listen and ask lots of questions from friends and players that you meet at shows. I've never met a musician that didn't want to talk about their playing style or their equipment. Oh yeah. Your fingers will feel like they want to fall off, for a good long while.
~Rob/Big Chief Radio~
I started on bass guitar when i was in middle school. As soon as I got an upright I haven't touched the latter. they are much more fun to play. But be aware they are like no other instrument. everyone will tell you that your fingers will hurt alot. this is prolly true for most, I pesonally played a washtub bass in my current band before upright so the nylon strings are nothing compared to rope. As far as price goes. Buy a good one if you can aford it. the cheap ones you find on ebay are okay but you will have lots of problems with them. If you are going to play in a band the only pick-up to buy is a k & k rockabilly, they our worth every red cent. good luck on your quest. you you got any questions hit me up. Oh what kinda car do you have? remember moving an upright around is like carring a couch with you to every show.
Man since I was a little kid I've wanted to learn how to play one of these. One day I'll have to cash to get one.
From what I understand the tuning is different. I believe the electric bass is tuned in 4ths and the upright is tuned in 5ths...? Maybe it's the other way around... I don't know, I'm a singer, not an instrumentalist. I will say that the upright has a much better style, and a great sound of it's own especially if you wanna get into rockabilly/psychobilly.

Upright bass is a completely different instrument. Different feel and different technique. I know and have played with many upright players that started on upright and have never played a traditional electric bass. Playing the upright is a very physical thing. You have to get up on it. Play her like you her (or him?) Watch, listen and ask lots of questions from friends and players that you meet at shows. I've never met a musician that didn't want to talk about their playing style or their equipment. Oh yeah. Your fingers will feel like they want to fall off, for a good long while.

~Rob/Big Chief Radio~
no, its the same tuning. some players tune differently for there playing style.

That Cat in the Hat said:
From what I understand the tuning is different. I believe the electric bass is tuned in 4ths and the upright is tuned in 5ths...? Maybe it's the other way around... I don't know, I'm a singer, not an instrumentalist. I will say that the upright has a much better style, and a great sound of it's own especially if you wanna get into rockabilly/psychobilly.

~Rob/Big Chief Radio~

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service