Advertise on PinupLifestyle

About four months ago I happened to drive by a service station north of downtown to see a gorgeous blue 1962 Pontiac Bonneville 2-dr hard top sitting out from for sale. I slowed down to look (as is usual for me going by old cars) but didn't think much of it at the time. But the idea of the car slowly ate away at me. You ever have that happen, where you can't get it out of the back of your mind and it doesnt want to go away? Yeah, that was it for me. Needless to say, the owner [turned out to be a buddy of mine] had a heart attack and he had to sell it fast and cheap. I drove it home friday. LOL

I have spent the past two days getting to know the car and make myself familiar with it's querks. Instead of the factory installed 389, this car has a 400 Small block V8 out of a 1974 Firebird with a brand new Holley carb, and in the past three owners they had only put 150 miles on the swapped motor for a total of 70,XXX. It has the 3 speed automatic and the stock radiator was just rebuilt. As far as I can tell, most every piece of trim on the exterior and interior is original to the car [due to pitted metal and some rust spots]. Though the trunk pan does have some small rust through spots, it is nothing I can fix with a welder [I may end up cutting out the whole trunk pan for something custom anyway].

I have already fixed what the PO claimed were 'serious' issues with the electrical system by swapping out the starter and most of the ignition wiring and it starts up right away every time! I have also fixed some nasty looking/cracked hoses and a few other small leaks that were ignored by the PO.

Admittedly this is only my second venture into Pontiac [my first being a 1978 Trans Am full resto-mod], but I have been a GM girl since I was a kid. I am excited to being this car back to life, in both looks and power, and I am very jazzed to share it with you all! :)I want to take it back to as original as possible give the parts I can find, the world needs just a few more original cars. ;)

Here are just a few pics; for more information and more pics you can hit up my Facebook [where I plan to catalog the build]. :)

XOX Electra

Exterior [next to our resto-project beetle and my daily driver]...

The interior is admittedly the weakest link in the car, the dash suffering the worst of it...

And a surprise I found amongst the spare parts in the trunk...

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the support :o) It would be great to have had a dad or uncle or even a freakin cousin to teach me how but alas, was not in the cards for me *le sigh* As for the mechanics I have enough knowledge to know when they are definitely spewing b*******. When they try and pull one over on me I ask them if thats with the extra charge because I have breasts lol. I even had one try something so over the top I asked him if he wanted a piece of gum to take away the taste of b******* he must have in his mouth. I've gotten an "auto repair for dummies" book. Thank god for youtube cause that's got some seriously helpful tutorials on there. I'm so afraid I'm gonna touch something that when turned on, I'll lose a finger or something or that I'll mess it up really badly and it just stops working completely lol. I wish I were a neighbor. I would ask you give me the instruction and me do it lol.

As for names, I like those. I'm all about having connections to the ones we love :o) You could go with Rosie Monroe or spell it a little differently; you could go with Rosie Moanroe cause that car is seriously moan worthy!! :D  I've got a feeling that the car really should have Rosie as the first name. It just feels right. Don't know if that helps but that's my 2 cents :o)

Toodles gorgeous!

Lallie

Electra Rose said:

No grumping! ;-)
I know what you mean about the local mechanics. The guys here are no better. Luckily my Dad taught me about cars and I knew enough to catch them. I wish I could tutor all women in "car talk" so they wouldn't be cheated. :-)

I have two names in the running, will most likely combine them.
First is Marilyn, because Marilyn Monroe died in 1962 and she was an elegant lady. And the other would be "Rose" or "Rosie". The reasoning there is that my grandmother Rosemarie (where I took my pinup name) drove a red Bonneville in the 1960's and it was the family car. So I am debating which one to chose. Opinions? I am open to new name suggestions too.

Thanks for the reply!
XOX

That is awesome that you call the mechanic on his bull!!

Auto repair for dummies is a good choice!! I would imagine that would pretty much let you know what is going on under the hood (even if only on a basic level). I wish I was closer, I would love to teach another girl all about cars!! I have been working on them with only guys for a long time :( I also wrote tech articles for an online magazine that was all guys and read by all guys, OMG I just wanted to NOT be the only woman! LOL.

Best thing you can do it just know the basics, names of major parts and their functions that way they can't try to pull the wool over your eyes by saying something is bad when it isn't. 

LOL "moan worthy" I love it!! I am glad the car has received so much love here on the forum because it definitely didn't receive that love in its previous life. I am working on making it totally orgasmic, that's for sure! :) I like Rosie too, it just seems to mean so much more. I lost my Grandmother a few years back and I miss her SO much its ridiculous. [i'll stop there because I don't want to start crying]. I bought this car without knowing that she drove a 2 door hardtop in red and I think it is cool the way everything worked out.

I really appreciate the 2 cents! :) I am always glad to hear other perspectives and opinions! :) Thanks!!

XOX

I am hoping to be able to share more photos from the shoot with the Bonneville and Mike M Images soon!

Finished up the last, and worst of the exhaust leak today! :) Despite the horrible rain and numb hands, I am finally glad to hear nothing but motor while it is running!! Next step is getting all of the steat belts squared away and bolted in correctly. Yeah, that should be fun! :)

Some pics; please excuse the shop, it is a MESS!

On the lift, getting ready for some fun! Underneath my boyfriend is checking out the body pan [since he didn't believe me when I said there was no rust through].

And the last bad gasket....for now I am sure lol Bad pic, but you get the idea...lol

And because no classic car is complete until you model in front of it...for more pics check my albums.

I love the pic w/ modeling w/ it. You look phenomenal! Ur a gorgeous gal w/ a gorgeous car. U got the whole world in ur hand beautiful! Go u :) *hugs* toodles!
Thank you love!! *HUGS* I appreciate you showing some love! :)
This is class I love old cars :P specially Cadillacs :D I WILL get one one day haha 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!

Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Latest Members

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2024   Created by PL Team.   Powered by

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service